Author Topic: Auber WIFI Electric Smoker Controller  (Read 9549 times)

cookingdude555

Auber WIFI Electric Smoker Controller
« on: May 19, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »
Has anyone tried this?:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

I am close to pulling the trigger for my #3, looking for opinions of those that have done it.  Thanks.
John - Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Auber WIFI Electric Smoker Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

cookingdude555

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »
Thanks Sarge.
John - Utah

cookingdude555

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
looking through that thread, it seems there are two new different products:

- A new line of smokers with wifi (yay!)
- A line of wifi pid upgrades for existing digital smokers

I have the analog control smoker #3.  I would think this leaves me out of the equation for this upgrade.  I am wondering if I will need to purchase the PID controller from auber I posted in this thread, and then take my analog controller out of the circuit so that it just runs full throttle when plugged in, which would have to always be manged by the auber after that point.  Also, I would be able to raise my max temp of the smoker?  Do I have these assumptions correct?  I am open to suggestions. 

I was going to purchase a flameboss for my BGEs and the auber for my #3, but I discovered aubers BGE controllers with wifi connectivity as well.  This would keep both of my controllers managed in the same auber app.  And looking at the screen shots from the other thread of the app for the new SI controller, it looks like its just the auberins app.
John - Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
The Auber stickys have a lot of good info from folks who have done an install of the stand alone Auber.   This link should get you started although there are many more. 
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.0
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 11:23:35 PM »
I have a Auber PID on my #3 and love it, it is not Wi-Fi (would be great) but it works awesome with the #3. My temp holds within a few degrees always and usually spot on. It may over run 5-8 degrees on start up then settle back down to the set temp. The new Big Red would be nice if I had a digital but for now I am very happy and I think you would be also.
In the back of my mind I wonder if the analog #3 could be converted, I am sure that it would void and and all warranties :)
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

cookingdude555

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
I have a Auber PID on my #3 and love it, it is not Wi-Fi (would be great) but it works awesome with the #3. My temp holds within a few degrees always and usually spot on. It may over run 5-8 degrees on start up then settle back down to the set temp. The new Big Red would be nice if I had a digital but for now I am very happy and I think you would be also.
In the back of my mind I wonder if the analog #3 could be converted, I am sure that it would void and and all warranties :)

Thanks for your reply and insight into the #3 with an auber. I think I’ve decided to go the bypass route with this new WiFi auber. I have thought about doing the toggle switch but I don’t know that I would ever want to go back to the analog route. I have plenty more cookers if I have to work on this one. How hot have you been able to cook with the auber in play? That is the biggest driver for me is breaking through the low temp barrier.
John - Utah

azbohunter

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:24 AM »

Thanks for your reply and insight into the #3 with an auber. I think I’ve decided to go the bypass route with this new WiFi auber. I have thought about doing the toggle switch but I don’t know that I would ever want to go back to the analog route. I have plenty more cookers if I have to work on this one. How hot have you been able to cook with the auber in play? That is the biggest driver for me is breaking through the low temp barrier.
I have not attempted any high temp cooks with this unit, I can't imagine it would be a problem. I have and older MES 30 with a Aubers on it and I cooked pretty hot in that a few times, the Smokin-It is insultaed way, way better than the MES. I think you will find others on here have done some pretty high temp cooks in the SI with Aubers.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.

cookingdude555

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Thanks AZBO.  I ordered the controller today and it arrives on Friday.  I am going to modify my #3 to bypass the stock controller between now and then to get ready for it.
John - Utah

azbohunter

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
I think you will love it, good look and enjoy!

Walt

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:15:21 PM »
I have had my bypassed #2 up to 500 degrees. However, its not rated for that.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

cookingdude555

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 12:42:24 AM »
Thanks Walt, that’s interesting to hear. I probably won’t be cooking over 350-375. I hope it holds.
John - Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
John,
Check out the old posts in the Auber sections of the forum.  You are heading down the road we have paved for you!  In my opinion, if you have an analog model, the bypass and Auber is THE ticket!  It puts the computer in control, and works very well!  You are getting to reap the benefit of Auber offering the stand alone controller based on the new design SI came up with, and commissioned Auber to complete.  The new display is great, and you will like it!  Let us know how it works out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cookingdude555

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 02:54:52 AM »
Thanks Tony. FedEx is showing its here in Salt Lake City, but I have to wait until Friday when they deliver it. Going to cook a brisket this weekend. I got the auber charcoal WiFi controller for the eggs as well. I’m excited to try both. If I get the #3 bypassed soon enough it will go on it, otherwise I will have the egg perform the task since that controller doesn’t require mods. I’m excited to control these cookers remotely.
John - Utah

cookingdude555

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
Ok, got my #3 bypassed, and the Wifi auber came in the mail.  It was not easy to get it connected to my wifi.  I have an advanced network as I do this for work, and honestly the best way to connect is a plain vanilla 2.4ghz SSID that only broadcasts on one access point.  Once I worked through the wifi issues, this is working ok.  It is not the best software, but it does the job ok.  I get remote access to my smokinit #3, and can change the temp of the smoker while away.  The app looks exactly like the new "red" lineup that steve has been showing on facebook, so I think you get the exact functionality as the new lineup.  I took some basic pics of it running.  I am just testing it for now, will be doing a brisket in it starting tomorrow night.  I think more of my excitement is geared towards being able to finally cook over 250, but the remote goodies on my phone are nice.  I also picked up another auber controller with a fan to remotely control my BGEs and WSM:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=657

I figured going with one app would be better than having multiple.  That one is also working good, but was a pain to get on wifi as well.

John - Utah