Author Topic: Transition from Akorn/Kamado to Smokin-It  (Read 1366 times)

nguye569

Transition from Akorn/Kamado to Smokin-It
« on: November 15, 2019, 09:08:34 AM »
Hi, I'm a soon to be owner that has been using an Akorn/Kamado smoker for years now and want to start prepping my recipes for the Smokin-It cooker. I plan to get a #4 or #5 as the end goal is to use the smoker for the occasional pulled pork or brisket specials at my family's cafe.

For anyone that also has experience with the Kamado, I'd like to know a few things about doing packer briskets:
1. Is timing a lot different for cooks? I've been averaging about 1 to 1.25 hours per pound using my Akorn at around 250-275F.
2. Do I need a water pan? Never needed one with my Akorn.
3. Do I need to wrap at all? Never needed to with my Akorn.
Tim from Minnesota

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Transition from Akorn/Kamado to Smokin-It
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »
Hi, I'm a soon to be owner that has been using an Akorn/Kamado smoker for years now and want to start prepping my recipes for the Smokin-It cooker. I plan to get a #4 or #5 as the end goal is to use the smoker for the occasional pulled pork or brisket specials at my family's cafe.

For anyone that also has experience with the Kamado, I'd like to know a few things about doing packer briskets:
1. Is timing a lot different for cooks? I've been averaging about 1 to 1.25 hours per pound using my Akorn at around 250-275F.
A. I go 225/230 for butts and briskets and the time is pretty close to what you have been getting with the Acorn.

A. You don't need one but a lot of folks do go that route.  Personal preference.

A.  No.  You do not need to wrap.  But like the water pan, some do and some don't. I think wrapping might be more popular with ribs than anything else. Again, personal preference.

And welcome Tim to the forum from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

nguye569

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:56 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Glad to know that I can maintain my current methods (at least for the initial cook) and see how I like it. 

A. I go 225/230 for butts and briskets and the time is pretty close to what you have been getting with the Acorn.

A. You don't need one but a lot of folks do go that route.  Personal preference.

A.  No.  You do not need to wrap.  But like the water pan, some do and some don't. I think wrapping might be more popular with ribs than anything else. Again, personal preference.

And welcome Tim to the forum from SE Arizona.
Tim from Minnesota

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »
You are welcome.  Good luck and enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle