Author Topic: The FINAL way to do a brisket?  (Read 56273 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: The FINAL way to do a brisket?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
I could not compare a SI brisket to the old hickory as I haven't done a whole packer in the SI. I have done small cut of brisket but the were excessively trimmed.  But what I made in the SI was pretty good. What I am making in the Old Hickory is the best brisket I have ever eaten. It helps the boss buys the highest level of meat he can. Our rub is a very course flake of salt, paprika, garlic, onion, black and cayenne pepper. I have no clue as to the amounts it comes in 80 pound boxes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

aspenextreme03

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
Going to do a brisket soon in my #2 and going to route I do with my prime rib. It is the way my grandpa does his. Hand rubs in sea salt, rock salt and pepper. Thats it and it comes out amazing.
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

prudentsmoker

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »
Here are 3 videos from Franklin whose restaurant has been declared #1 in Texas. Hope you find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU&index=3&list=PLJXFUkVvL7g4-ic-vMvL0VYovXzAQ3EUu
Brian from Wichita

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Here are 3 videos from Franklin whose restaurant has been declared #1 in Texas. Hope you find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU&index=3&list=PLJXFUkVvL7g4-ic-vMvL0VYovXzAQ3EUu

Brian,

Good stuff, I have not seen these before!

Thanks greg

prudentsmoker

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 03:06:46 PM »
You are most welcome. If all goes well I will be dining there in July.
Brian from Wichita

RG

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 03:11:54 PM »
You are most welcome. If all goes well I will be dining there in July.

Now, you know I am going to want a full report out of you on this right? LOL

It must be good for people to wait in line for 3-5 hours to eat!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 03:43:49 PM »
Franklin BBQ is on my list of place to eat in Austin, later this year. Also JMueller BBQ, these two guys are in a kind of in a war BBQ. Before Franklin opened his BBQ he worked for Mueller. Even worse when when Mueller had some financial problems Franklin bought one of his pits.

Mueller is the grandson of legendary Louie Mueller who started Louie Mueller Barbecue up in Taylor, TX.

I have eaten at the Louie Mueller BBQ many times and the food is excellent. They do an amazing business and when they are out of meat they close for the day.

Also interesting is that they both have different smokin styles, Franklin cooks low and slow and Mueller cooks fast and hot, as hot as 400 degrees.

Anyways I will in Austin late summer and fall and plan to stop by and try them both out.

Greg

prudentsmoker

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »
I tried to eat at Franklin's a couple of years ago and did not want to wait two hours and that was on a Sunday. Now he has a thing where you send an email on the first Monday of the month before the month you want to eat it in. So I am doing that tomorrow and will be more than happy to give a report. Snow's in Lexington, TX is really good also. It was voted #1 by TX Monthly. When i went a couple of years ago you could phone in your order a couple days ahead of when you were going to be there.
Brian from Wichita

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
I tried to eat at Franklin's a couple of years ago and did not want to wait two hours and that was on a Sunday. Now he has a thing where you send an email on the first Monday of the month before the month you want to eat it in. So I am doing that tomorrow and will be more than happy to give a report. Snow's in Lexington, TX is really good also. It was voted #1 by TX Monthly. When i went a couple of years ago you could phone in your order a couple days ahead of when you were going to be there.

Brian,

Good to know after being in the Military I hate standing in line!

Keep us posted on your visit.

Greg

RG

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
If you guys are going to be in Austin, go to a place called the Blue Ox BBQ  & Pancake Cabin. I know it sounds weird but I've heard it's amazing! The guy that runs it, Chase, is the son of a member over at the Keg forum. It appears that he is about to open at a new location, the old one that was located at a place called the Buzz Mill (bar) is now closed and some other joint has opened in its place.

Here's the website : Blue Ox BBQ

Also on Facebook : Blue Ox FB Page
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:11:16 PM by RG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
If you guys are going to be in Austin, go to a place called the Blue Ox BBQ  & Pancake Cabin. I know it sounds weird but I've heard it's amazing! The guy that runs it, Chase, is the son of a member over at the Keg forum. It appears that he is about to open at a new location, the old one that was located at a place called the Buzz Mill (bar) is now closed and some other joint has opened in its place.

Here's the website : Blue Ox BBQ

Also on Facebook : Blue Ox FB Page

Hey Jason,

Thanks I will put that in my list.

What should I order?

Greg

RG

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 07:24:56 PM »
Brisket, beef short ribs and the espresso rubbed pork loin are all supposed to be killer. The pulled pork is good too as are the ribs, but it's Texas, go with the BEEF! :)

RG

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »
Dang that picture is huge, I just linked to it from a google search, I wish this board auto resized ;)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
Dang that picture is huge, I just linked to it from a google search, I wish this board auto resized ;)

Wow for a minutes I thought you posted a 400 lb. brisket :)

Yea, I use Photoshop and then post to Photobucket.com

Greg

RG

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
I always resize my own pics and post them to my own server to link to, but this is straight from the interwebs so how you see it is how I found it, lol.