Author Topic: Sous vide weights  (Read 1917 times)

prudentsmoker

Sous vide weights
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
I paid $17 dollars for two 6.2 ounce stainless steel, enclosed in silicone weights from Amazon. Last night I was in Dollar Tree and they sell something called Glass Gems, 14oz. for you guessed it $1. I haven't tried them yet, and they probably won't work for every application (like diced veggies) but the price is certainly right. File this under Lessons Learned.
Brian from Wichita

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Sous vide weights
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:11 AM »
I assume with the glass gems that you would not put them directly in with the food? Like you would vacuum seal them in a second outer bag? I wouldn't want those to come in contact with my food. Who knows if they would crack or flake, and if they are made in China, there could be lead in them. I doubt if they are food safe.

I like the sous vide weights you bought on Amazon better. The stainless coated in silicone seems safer. And you are not dealing with all of the pieces.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

Re: Sous vide weights
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
I understand what you are saying. I was going to boil them first and see if there was any discoloration in the water. I did show them to a retired Health Department inspector and he thought they would be fine.
Brian from Wichita