Author Topic: Hello from Sunny Bonaire  (Read 3064 times)

BonaireBBQ

Hello from Sunny Bonaire
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »
Hello All
This is Walt - BonaireBBQ. I have been trolling this site for many months, 6+ and researching Smokers for longer pretty well set on a Smokin It smoker most likely 4D. I have not pulled the trigger yet as I am waiting on the meat supplier to confirm they can deliver Brisket and Boston Butt. I have been grilling and smoking on charcoal and gas grills for more years than I can remember. My father taught me at a very young age. I moved to Bonaire (Many may have to "google" it to find Bonaire, Try googling "Bonaire Dutch Caribbean") 26 years ago from Denver to run a dive shop. I did that for 10 years then started my own Technical Dive operation and ran that for 15 years. Sold it just over a year ago. Now trying to figure out what to do when I grow up. If I ever do? I can't just sit around in semi-retirement. I do Harley tours of the Island, Bus tours, Land rover tours, ATV tours I also drive a dive truck for the local Marine Ecology Collage on Island. I hate having to fly to Aruba to get real BBQ so the plan is to start a small BBQ catering Business down here doing US style BBQ one or two days-night per week. I plan to start out with brisket and pulled pork. Most likely expanding to ribs and chicken as that is what the locals are used to for BBQ-grilled meat as no one smokes meat down here they just grill it over mesquite lots of mesquite down here. So get ready for a Bunch of questions. I guess I am headed back to my roots. I spent 15 years in the food and beverage industry before moving down here.

Thanks in advance for all the questions you will get and in anticipation of the great answers from all of you! I am very impressed with this forum as being in the dive business some of those forums are not so good or polite.

Thanks All

Walt III

PS yes I am Walter W. S. III
Walt in Bonaire

drains

Re: Hello from Sunny Bonaire
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:11:12 PM »
Welcome from Texas Walt! We're glad you found us! Ask away and remember there are no stupid questions here. The 4d is a beast of a smoker and up to any challenge you can throw at it. If anything it's too much smoker for most needs but around here excess capacity is encouraged because you can smoke less in a bigger smoker but you can't smoke more in a smaller one. I haven't had any problems with my #3 being big enough so far and I'm sure I won't. The 4 has a certification so it can be used commercially also. So when ever your ready just let the questions fly.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
First off, Walt - a great big Welcome!!  Glad to have you out of the shadows!  Secondly, NO, you don't have to grow up, if you don't want to!  Thirdly, are you hiring? ;)   Sounds like you have a pretty good life going on, down there! 8)

All of the SI line is NSF-certified, so that's good for commercial use.  You start feeding those folks some good 'ol U.S.-style BBQ, and you're going to make a fortune!  You can't go wrong sticking to brisket and pulled pork, to start.  And, having BBQ experience is a real plus, but you'll also have to break some old habits to fully embrace the Lazy Q lifestyle we so enjoy! 

We're here to help, so don't be shy!  Feel free to post us some (lots of) pics of your little slice of heaven!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:34:19 PM »
Walt - Welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Walt!  Glad to have you with us.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Mr.Ed

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:43:50 PM »
Hi Walt,
Glad to hear you may be getting the 4D to be the BBQ entrepreneur there in Bonaire. I guess it would be a little harder on procuring meat there. I did some part time scuba instructing with my wife here in Florida. Then onto tech. and cave diving with the NSSCDS. Much too old for that mental trip anymore and BBQ is my joy now. Keep us posted when you get your new Si.
Mr.Ed from Winter Park, Fl
SI 3D WIFI,
Ex Superior SS1, Ex Lang 60, Ex FBA Competitor
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Vietnam Veteran

Smokin is 1% fact, 22% manipulation of the fact and 77% speculation of the manipulation.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »
Hey Walt, Welcome aboard from N'East MA. When you do pull the trigger Hope you share your experiences with us.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »
Walt, welcome from Colorado. Can't wait to see what you cook up in Bonaire!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »
Welcome from ND Walt! You have chosen an awesome smoker and have come to the right place to ask questions and participate in a family oriented community.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.