Author Topic: No Peek St. Louis Jerky  (Read 3763 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
No Peek St. Louis Jerky
« on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
Having never been a fan of the no peek method, I now believe that I'm just cursed.  I decided to give the SI another chance to redeem itself and produce some good ribs by way of the no peek method.  Well, I'm ordering out for my dinner tonight.   :'(  I flipped the switch this morning and forced myself to stay away.  When I went out to check my ribs at the 4.5 hour mark I had a slab of charcoal.  The heating element clearly never shut off and burnt the ribs to a crisp.  Words can't express how disappointed I am.  I am destined to be a peeker and a wrapper. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

EFGM

Re: No Peek St. Louis Jerky
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:33:50 PM »
All is to be ok SD. I see you've been around for sometime so I know you know you have a Super Smoker, just like your Super. What I did to solve that issue is finally get it through my head that 1) it's not done till its done, and 2) get me a device to tell me when I am approaching the internal temp I desire for what it is I am cooking. Now I don't know a first thing about jerky but if you get yourself a Maverick or like device and a thermapen to start with you can't avoid the peeking and begin to probe or check exact temps when you get close, very close to your desired internal temp. I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know as your probably far more experienced than I, but this is what helped me from these situations and both my son in laws as well. Happy Smoking!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
Having never been a fan of the no peek method, I now believe that I'm just cursed.  I decided to give the SI another chance to redeem itself and produce some good ribs by way of the no peek method.  Well, I'm ordering out for my dinner tonight.   :'(  I flipped the switch this morning and forced myself to stay away.  When I went out to check my ribs at the 4.5 hour mark I had a slab of charcoal.  The heating element clearly never shut off and burnt the ribs to a crisp.  Words can't express how disappointed I am.  I am destined to be a peeker and a wrapper.

Was this using the stock controller?  How is it possible that ribs could be charcoal at 4 1/2 hours?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:52:10 PM »

Was this using the stock controller?  How is it possible that ribs could be charcoal at 4 1/2 hours?

Sounds to me like you were cooking with your bypass enabled without the Auber or something similar.

I only smoke St Louis ribs and they usually take 6-7 hours. I smoked some beautiful racks for Father's Day at 225 for 7 hours and I think that they were the best I have ever smoked.

My trusty analog controller has not failed me yet. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
Yep, I'm assuming it was the 400 - 500 degrees for 4 1/2 hours that made the charcoal.  I was using the analog controller since I didn't need to monitor anything.  I guess that didn't workout so well. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »
I always watch the smoker through the first heating cycle until the red light shuts off.    Usually the red light shuts off in about 45 minutes, but when it goes longer I will often lower the temp gauge just to make sure that it is going to shut off.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »
Doesn't the analog controller shut only go to 250*? That would mean it would not go probably any higher than 275 on the variation cycle.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
Doesn't the analog controller shut only go to 250*? That would mean it would not go probably any higher than 275 on the variation cycle.

I am pretty sure that Dave has his #4 bypassed (this effectively takes the stock controller out of the picture), so that his external Auber can control the element unimpeded. So, if you forget to disable the bypass and run the smoker without the Auber regulating the element, the element would have been at full blast the entire time.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »

I am pretty sure that Dave has his #4 bypassed (this effectively takes the stock controller out of the picture), so that his external Auber can control the element unimpeded. So, if you forget to disable the bypass and run the smoker without the Auber regulating the element, the element would have been at full blast the entire time.

Well, that's what I would call "pulling a 'Doug' "
Since I my Dog is not tall enough to reach the plug!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 05:29:54 PM »
To avoid me "pulling a Doug," I put a 3 position switch in line and when the Auber is unplugged and stored the switch goes in the off position. That way I have to switch it either to the Auber Position or OEM position for it to come on.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »

This is all clear now, Dave!  I forgot you had the bypass switch.  Please don't let a "user error" mistake deter you from the joys of not wrapping!  Next time, just make sure you're making the right temp before you leave!  "No peek" does NOT mean "No Monitor!"  ;)   While I don't have to go out and adjust temps and babysit my smoker, I still don't leave it totally to its own devices, to do as it pleases!  I also never leave the house, when the smoker is doing its thing, just I wouldn't leave while something is in the oven. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!