Author Topic: Brined Jerky 1st attempt  (Read 13712 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Brined Jerky 1st attempt
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 01:37:26 AM »
The jerky looks great!

I would say it was a success if those in or tweaks are all you need.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »
I revised the Cure Calculation sheet in the earlier post.  I edited some of the calculations for clarity, and locked some cells.  You can unlock any of the red or grey cells as you see fit.  I am attaching again to this post.
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the update, Gregor!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tom

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:13:43 AM »
Reading thru this thread has me thinking, for my first batch of jerky on the 3D, has anyone used a meat tenderizer during the brine? Only for textural effects. I haven't made jerky in a good 10 years or more, but I know you can whack the meat really well with a hammer style tenderizer, or the one I had in mind (since the meat will be cured and safe) using the meat docking type tenderizer.

I love jerky and I'm excited to tear into it when the 3D is up and running, I plan on having a lot more homemade meat in my change to a low carb diet for a while. I just never liked the tough leather "rip your teeth out" toughness of some jerky, especially the thicker cuts which I prefer. I like them a bit chewier and softer in the center, but also very tender and easy to bite.

Has anyone played around with different tenderizing methods other than obviously cutting against the grain?

No Jerky Cannon yet, but maybe at some point.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:18:40 AM by Tom »
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Plan2build

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
Hello Tom,

Although not specifically used as a tenderizer and more for flavor, I have used Worcestershire sauce as one component in my ingredients.  This contains vinegar as you know, which is a chemical tenderizer and will help to break down the collagen in meat.  I am unsure of the effect based on concentration, but certainly something you can experiment with by adjusting a vinegar content.  Be mindful of the effect on the flavor, so balance with other ingredients!

Other tenderizers are enzymatic like McCormick's, which contains Bromelain, Papain, or other fruit extract.  These will also help break down the meat.  I have not tried anything like this as I like the jerky chewy, so I cannot advise on how much to use.  Since I also brine for several days, not sure the effect of time with these enzymes.  Another drawback is the effects of these enzymatic tenderizers are stopped by cooking, where higher temperatures inactivate the enzymes.  Since jerky production is a drying process, you likely will not reach a sufficient temperature to stop the effect, and they will continue to tenderize until they are depleted.

For a mechanical tenderizer (mallet or blades), I would imagine this would be effective and may give you a product you like.  Since this is very simple, give it a shot and let us know what you think.  If the results are inadequate, I would then move to chemical, and lastly enzymatic, in that order based on simplicity.

Let us know how you make out!
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Since you are looking for the chewy yet not tear off pieces, the extrusion jerky with the Jerky Cannon may be the ticket for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Tom, a lot of the commercially-produced jerky has MSG, as a flavor enhancer and tenderizer (like Accent!).  Personally, I don't like the soft texture of over-tenderized jerky - I like the "chew!"  Also, if you (or anyone who eats it) is sensitive to MSG - which many people are - watch the ingredients in the tenderizer you use.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Tom

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »
Tom, a lot of the commercially-produced jerky has MSG, as a flavor enhancer and tenderizer (like Accent!).  Personally, I don't like the soft texture of over-tenderized jerky - I like the "chew!"  Also, if you (or anyone who eats it) is sensitive to MSG - which many people are - watch the ingredients in the tenderizer you use.

Thank you all. I certainly like a good chew, I just like to avoid the boot leather my dad used to make :) Hence my point about not really wanting to go down the Jerky Cannon route just yet.

And, as a newbie, I want to make sure I don't come across as disagreeable, but MSG allergies have been rather unanimously debunked as bad pseudo-science based on little other than second hand accounts.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=msg+allergy+fake&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Plan2build

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 10:55:40 PM »
Tom,

Try the brine recipe I used in this post and the calculator (selfishly adapted from Gregg, Tony and others input) and make a test batch of jerky.  Like you, I really do not like the boot leather jerky, but the two batches I have done to date are great and the perfect chew in my opinion.  As mentioned, it does have vinegar in the Worcestershire sauce which is a tenderizer in its own right.  My 12 year old daughter loves the jerky, so not much work required to enjoy it!!  All you really need to monitor is the amount of dryness after about 6 hours (2 hour smoke and then the jerky dryer running)...I think you will be pleasantly surprised and will not need to goof around with tenderizers.

Let us know how you progress.....
Gregor from NJ

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:37 PM »
That's a good point Gregory. Everyone has a different preference on how dry they like their jerky. You dry your jerky until it reaches the dryness that you prefer.

The other thing with whole muscle jerky is whether you slice the jerky against or with the grain of the meat. If you like to gnaw on your jerky a bit, cut with the grain. If you want an easier to chew product, cut against the grain.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »
And, as a newbie, I want to make sure I don't come across as disagreeable, but MSG allergies have been rather unanimously debunked as bad pseudo-science based on little other than second hand accounts.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=msg+allergy+fake&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Tom, your link talks about MSG "allergy;" I don't know anything about that, and that was not my point.  What MSG has been proven to be is an excitotoxin (a substance that can penetrate the blood/brain barrier), and is a migraine headache trigger for many.  My wife suffers from migraine headaches, and MSG is a trigger.  It took her years of food diaries to find her "triggers," and MSG is the worst, for her.  It's in a lot of packaged products, and we have to check labels.  Sometimes, she gets surprised, and eats something with unknown MSG in it....boom!  Within an hour, she has a migraine.  Don't know much about MSG allergies, but know - first hand, from seeing it happen - that MSG can and will trigger migraine headaches in some folks.  Only reason I mentioned the sensitivity issue.  I don't want to make a big deal out of it, just wanted to share something with you that you probably didn't know.

Here's an article that explains the excitotoxin effect, and debunks many of the studies you cited (the "placebo" used in the studies was Aspartame, also an excitotoxin).  Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills

Now...let's get back to BBQ and jerky!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:51:00 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

Tom

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 02:15:54 AM »

Tom, your link talks about MSG "allergy;" I don't know anything about that, and that was not my point.  What MSG has been proven to be is an excitotoxin (a substance that can penetrate the blood/brain barrier), and is a migraine headache trigger for many.  My wife suffers from migraine headaches, and MSG is a trigger.  It took her years of food diaries to find her "triggers," and MSG is the worst, for her.  It's in a lot of packaged products, and we have to check labels.  Sometimes, she gets surprised, and eats something with unknown MSG in it....boom!  Within an hour, she has a migraine.  Don't know much about MSG allergies, but know - first hand, from seeing it happen - that MSG can and will trigger migraine headaches in some folks.  Only reason I mentioned the sensitivity issue.  I don't want to make a big deal out of it, just wanted to share something with you that you probably didn't know.

Here's an article that explains the excitotoxin effect, and debunks many of the studies you cited (the "placebo" used in the studies was Aspartame, also an excitotoxin).  Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills

Now...let's get back to BBQ and jerky!! ;)

I just noticed this reply when I realized I can click and see quoted replies. While I entirely empathize with your wife and believe what you're describing; if we're having a friendly debate on the topic (likely not the purpose of a BBQ forum so I won't beleaguer the point beyond this and consider the topic unfruitful) I'd counter that the chief physician cited in most of that link you've provided is also widely known as fraud who claims things like vaccines causing autism and alzheimer's disease and that there was a government conspiracy that lead to Gulf War Syndrome in veterans who received such vaccines as well. (http://w3.newsmax.com/blaylock/11.cfm). As well, his claim that aspartame being a neurotoxin has been wholly refuted as a completely unsupported notion.

And the Nutrition For Optimal Health Organization, now called the American Nutrition Association is also quackery concealed as a legitimate peer reviewed professional scientific body.(http://quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/nonrecorg.html)
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
We'll agree to disagree, Tom! ;)   Now, as I said before, let's get back to jerky & BBQ! :)   Sorry for letting your post get off-topic, Gregor! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokedGouda

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
I revised the Cure Calculation sheet in the earlier post.  I edited some of the calculations for clarity, and locked some cells.  You can unlock any of the red or grey cells as you see fit.  I am attaching again to this post.

I know this is an old post, but it's got some great info that I'm going to be taking into account for my upcoming jerky smoke. I have a question regarding the spreadsheet, specifically relating to cells F17 & F19. Should the additional salt needed cell (F17) formula also be subtracting the amount of salt added from other liquids(F19)? Or are you adding the additional salt ON TOP of the salt from the liquids? My mind is telling me to subtract the liquid salt number from the additional salt number.

Thanks for the help! Can't wait to make the jerky!
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

Porkchop

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2023, 02:42:18 PM »
Hey folks....Have not posted on the forum for a long time and have been busy perfecting my smoked salmon....getting bored I wanted to expand to more stuff, so last week I started some Capicola (curing at the moment but will add some photos later) and also have a hankering for some Jerky.  So just started some Jerky in an equilibrium brine for smoking and drying on Sunday.  I have the James Jerky Dryer and Auber on my #2.  Following Tony's guidance  8) with some modifications, I hope this will turn out.  This is what I did:

In purchased two Eye of Rounds on sale for a total of 2289 grams (a hair over 5 pounds all trimmed up and cleaned).  Using Diggindogfarms cure calculator I created my own Excel spreadsheet to calculate the equilibrium brine components.  I did this so that I could toy with the numbers and see how things interact.  I did verify the calculations through multiple models before making my brine.

Using a cool jerky slicing jig I got on ebay (included a really sharp knife and made in USA) I sliced (with the grain) the two rounds down to 1/4" thick sections, and then cut into strips (again with the grain).  If anyone wants the source of this slicer, let me know.  It is cheaper than an electric slicer and is fast to use and easy to clean...again Made in USA so what's not to love....

From the calculation table I created the brine.  I deviated from Tony's recipe in that I used 140ppm of Cure #1, full strength soy sauce which is about 6% sodium content, and used ground black pepper and paprika.

Meat:  2289 g (~5 lbs)
Cure #1:  6.25%
Salt %:  1.5
Sugar %:  2.5
ppm cure:  140

This gave me,
Cure #1          5.1g
Salt                29.3g
Brown sugar    57.2g

Additionally I added 2 cups soy sauce, 1 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tablespoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika.  Once all the measured ingredients were added, I QS'd (means Quantum Sufficit or sufficient quantity) the brine to my meat weight of 2289 with water.  In the meat went and the tub into the fridge.

Tomorrow, I need to autotune my Auber again and prepare for smoking and drying during the game on Sunday.

I just started marinating a 5 pound batch using this recipe and was confused by the statement: “Once all the measured ingredients were added, I QS'd (means Quantum Sufficit or sufficient quantity) the brine to my meat weight of 2289 with water”. I had plenty of solution without adding any water, am I supposed to be adding water?
I know this is an old most but hopefully I didn’t mess this up