Author Topic: First Try for Sauasage Fatties  (Read 4579 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
First Try for Sauasage Fatties
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:17 AM »
Decided to try a sausage fatty this weekend, but I made the mistake of telling my neighbors up the street.  They wanted to know what time to stop by on Sunday to try it out, so I decided I better make two!   The fatty's were totally delicious, with only 3 pieces left by the time folks left for the evening...I will be making these again in the near future!

I used the recipe from dehager (earlier post in this thread) and Jeff Philips.   I added baby spinach leaves, Colby-jack and mozzarella  cheese, red onions and jalapenos chopped.  I coated the sausage on the inside with Jeff Philip's BBQ sauce as well as on the outside of the bacon.  I also applied a healthy dose of Jeff's naked rub on the inside of the bacon weave.    On the smoker at 225F, and reached 170IT at 3 hours with one piece of cherry and one piece of hickory wood.

Jeff Philip's warned that the bacon might not be crisp on the outside and suggested putting the fatty's under the broiler.  Instead, I took the rack right out of the smoker and dropped it on my grill for a couple of minutes...this crisped the bacon nicely.  By careful, though...the bacon grease on the grill causes a flare up.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:57:31 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

Re: First Try for Sauasage Fatties
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
I have got to do some fatties soon.... is the prep a pain in the butt?

Do you have  pictures of any "guts" of the fatties?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
I'm also intrigued!  I really want to do one, but the wife says they look like a heart attack on a plate!  At least I'll go with a smile on my face! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:49 AM »
Bob...sorry, no Qview of the insides, but it was good!   While it was not overly difficult to make the fatty, it is a bit of a mess trying to roll up the sausage after stuffing it with cheese, etc.   The sausage kind of stuck to the parchment paper, but when I slowed myself down, the paper seem to peel back from the sausage pretty well.   The bacon weave was not difficult at all, and the you just place the sausage roll onto the bacon weave and wrap, so no issues there.   I am looking forward to try another one soon (wanted to last night, but the wife said no).
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
gonna give them a try- if i had them made up the night before - I could throw them in #2 after work.... hmmm just may try them.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
I was actually thinking the same thing!  Should require no more than 3 hours to get to 170IT.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rickne

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »
Definitely on my short list too.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
Sorry guys, I've been away for a while and I missed the forum.  In regards to fatties, you really should short list your short list and get one of these in the smoker.  The give you amazing results, taste great and are really easy to make.  The best part of it is that you can get really creative with your ingredients. 

I'm getting ready to head down to Ohio this week for the US Thanksgiving with family, the unfortunate part is that they don't have a smoker.  I plan to meet up with Steve to pick up some accessories for my #3.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It