Author Topic: Wood Weight Chart??  (Read 4949 times)

KY Smoke

Wood Weight Chart??
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
Have a question for everyone, and especially the "veterans" of the SI.  Has anyone put a "recommended" wood weight chart...per meat type and weight...together yet?  I know that each wood type can differ a little and everyone can have their own preferences.  However, it would be a great tool for the "newbies" and even others, as they become familiar with smoking in the SI smokers.  Don't get me wrong, you can find the information in all of the posts, but when time is limited for some folks to get the thing fired up, it would be pretty handy!  ;)   

Just a thought, but looking forward to everyone's input.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Wood Weight Chart??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
We do have one in the Guide to smoking times, temps & wood portion of the forum stickied to the top but I think it is a little out of date and/or could use some updating.  However, it is as good as any place to start.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
KY Smoke,

Here is the info Dave was referring to, click on the link below and then click on Smoking Guide.pdf.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »

I want to thank Gregg (NDKoze) for his assistance on this guide - great job!  We've put together a simple guide, that can be downloaded and printed, for quick reference.

This will evolve, over time, so please let me know if you have things you would like to add!  This should become a community effort!
* Smoking Guide.pdf (123.23 kB - downloaded 1602 times.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:23:35 PM by DivotMaker »
.)

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »
I use and haven't gone wrong with the chart Gregg made up.  Be sure you have a digital scale handy, you'd be surprised how wood ends up weighing too much.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

KY Smoke

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »
Thanks guys! Knew there had to be one here somewhere in this wealth of SI knowledge, but still getting used to where everything is at. I do have a digital scale and fully understand the importance of accurate wood weights.  Thanks again. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:45:40 PM »
KY Smoke,

Here is the info Dave was referring to, click on the link below and then click on Smoking Guide.pdf.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.0

Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »

I want to thank Gregg (NDKoze) for his assistance on this guide - great job!  We've put together a simple guide, that can be downloaded and printed, for quick reference.

This will evolve, over time, so please let me know if you have things you would like to add!  This should become a community effort!
* Smoking Guide.pdf (123.23 kB - downloaded 1602 times.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:23:35 PM by DivotMaker »
.)

Greg

Greg, this was a "starting point," and I don't see a lot of updates needed - pretty basic guidelines.  As you quoted, I mentioned this should be a "community effort;" unfortunately, that hasn't happened.  So, let me make the call again:  If anyone sees something wrong, or would like to see an addition/change to the chart, please let me know.  We collaborated on the initial chart, and haven't had any complaints, thus far.  If it needs adjustment, please send me a PM with recommended changes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
Just took a peek at the smokin chart you guys shared.  This thing is awesome!  Definitely a great reference for someone new to Smokin-it Smokers!  Thanks again everyone. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff!  I'm going to do a minor revision soon, so check out the new one when available.  I'll post something in Announcements when it's done.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

capsfan

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
I just ordered my #2 and I have been reading in order to prepare for my first smoke this weekend.  This chart is going to be a real treasure.  Thanks for publishing it.  It is already on my iPad.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:28:23 PM »
Welcome, and a big Congrats, Capfan!  Now that you're part of the family, head over to the Introductions section and tell us about your smoking background.  Also, a first name and town in your forum profile is nice - we're pretty friendly around here! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
+1

Should almost come in the box from Steve? with hints and tips as well as a link to here/site.

A wall laminated version would be a nice touch.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
Hey John, I printed mine front and back on single sheet of paper and took to office max/depot and had them laminate it for me.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri