Author Topic: How to prevent meat drippings from burning on the doghouse and tainting your mea  (Read 1300 times)

otisusmc

Hey Y'all,

I was curious on the different techniques that are being used out there to prevent meat drippings from dropping on the doghouse, just over the heating element.  I've noticed that these drippings will burn and effect the flavor of the meat.  I'm trying to prevent this by using a disposable drip pan, but I've noticed that the pan plays with the internal temperature of my smoker, and I still have to be careful with the proximity of the doghouse.

Thank you,

Otis

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Heavy duty foil!  Foil placed in the bottom of the smoker and a hole punched thru the grease hole to the drip pan below.  Foil the roof of the wood box (dog house).  The drippings will still "burn" but the smoker will be easier to clean.  As for the drippings affecting the flavor of the meat, I have never detected any off putting flavor.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

otisusmc

Old Sarge,

Thank you for responding and the welcome aboard.  Copy all on the heavy duty foil comments, I've exercised that technique since day one. 

I'll keep experimenting with a barrier to prevent fat drippings burning on the wood box, as I do taste it on the meat, particularly with brisket and beef ribs. 

Take care,

Otis

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Otis - Set a drip pan with a little water on a lower rack and your meat on a rack above.  That should do it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

otisusmc

Old Sarge,

That's an excellent suggestion!   I'll give it a shot, and report back.

Thank you,

Otis