Author Topic: Just ordered an Auber AW-WST1510H-W for my #2  (Read 2951 times)

lcdearman

Just ordered an Auber AW-WST1510H-W for my #2
« on: June 07, 2021, 04:23:26 PM »
Looking forward to playing with this and geeking out on the data. After reading a lot, the auto tune makes sense, I'll install the wall mount probe up high in the cabinet, and I'll do a bypass with switch. I'll probably do the simple bypass with just an SPST switch across the terminals of the analog controller.

One question I have though is concerning the apps available for iOS. There is an AuberWifi app, an AuberSmart app, and a Smokin-it app. Which one should I be using? I am guessing it is the AuberWifi app since it is newer than the others.

Thanks,
Clay
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

lcdearman

Re: Just ordered an Auber AW-WST1510H-W for my #2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »
I finally found my answer on the auber site. Even though the screen shots show AuberSmart, the correct app is AuberWifi...
Clay from Taylor, TX
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
Enjoy.  If you tear into your smoker, rubber gloves because of the fiberglass insulation. Use the search feature, if you have not done so already, and see how others have wired in the Auber. Lots of photos.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

lcdearman

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »
Thanks Sarge! I think I have read every thread I could find, and analyzed all of the pictures. This site is a gold mine of information and you don’t even have to dig very deep to find treasure.
Clay from Taylor, TX
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:17:20 PM »
I'm going to hang around and look for your experience with this.  I have a model 2 analog and thought about doing this mod myself, but I'm a klutz and I don't want to mess up a good thing.  I'm mostly really happy with my model 2.

I'm curious:  What are you looking to do that you can't do with the model 2 analog without mods?
Ed in North Texas

lcdearman

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 09:08:31 PM »
Got the Auber today. My nylon spacer for the wall mount probe is ready, but I cannot get the hole drilled. I’m going slow (100 rpm), keeping the bits cool, but I think my HF bits just won’t “cut it”. I’ll pick up some better bits tomorrow.

Ed, I want good data logging with WiFi. I have a Bluetooth remote thermometer that only logs when the app is running and the phone is awake. I recently had a cook where the thermometer shut off during the night and as a result I didn’t get the temp alarm when the pork butts were done. I was looking into a Meater 4 probe set then realized an Auber is about the same price. The Auber will give me better temperature control (+/- 2 or 3 degrees instead of +/- 20 or 30) and can be programmed to shut off when the food reaches temperature. Do these features warrant the price? Maybe, but this is also a “toy” for me. I am an engineer and love practical tech. Will my food be better? I’ll get a feel for that after my first cook this weekend.
Clay from Taylor, TX
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:23:57 AM »
@Clay, I understand what you're going for and appreciate the "toy" aspect.  I'm not an engineer but I do like to tinker.  My only problem with that is, when I do, I tend to mess things up, so I've learned to control my tinkering urges in my old age.   ;)

I use a low-tech Maverick thermometer with two probes to manage box and meat temperatures.  It alarms effectively if things get too hot or cold.  I do experience the 20-30 degree box temperature range with the analog, but I can't decide if that's a problem that needs solving.  Most of my cooking results have been pretty good so far, but some could have been better.

I'm looking forward to your experience with the Auber -- especially any improvement in results due to tighter control of box temperature.

Ed in North Texas

lcdearman

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »
Probe install and bypass are complete! I picked up some Dewalt cobalt bits and they were much better. Drilling was still slow, but at least the bits stayed sharp. Below are some pictures of the probe install, the SPST "simplified" bypass, and the autotune results. It turns out that the Auber autotune simply runs whatever temp you choose for program 1 until it completes 3 cycles of going over the setpoint and then cooling back below it. It runs the burner at 100% or 0% during the autotune. I chose to run it at 225* with a loaf pan filled with moist decomposed granite because that is what I had. It was pretty much like coarse sand anyway. After that autotune turned off and it just controlled to the set temperature. I compared my values to what most people got with their #2 and then I watched the smoker temp and % output and tweaked the values a little. I have designed PID temperature controllers before so I'm not afraid to mess with it a little.

This weekend I will smoke a 3.2lb Tri Tip like a brisket (I know, go ahead and tell me not to...) as a test, and next weekend its gonna be a 4.4lb wagyu picanha, but that will be medium-rare with a reverse sear.

Pictures of the install are below, and a plot of the autotune as well.

Clay from Taylor, TX
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

drinkersAndSmokers

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »
Great job!

I have the #2D wifi and tried all three apps on my samsung Note 20 (android) and have not had any success with getting the Auber to connect.  The Auber WiFi app is the closest to working as it sees my 2.4 Ghz network and connects, but never sees the Auber even though the blue light is fast blinking.  AuberSmart never connects to the network, but seems intended for the other Auber controller.  Finally, the Auber SmokinIt app comes up with an <unknown ssid> and when I enter the network and password, it never connects.  I've tried two different router manufacturers with no success.
Cheers!

lcdearman

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 10:26:29 PM »
If the Auber is blinking blue, your phone should be able to detect the Auber’s SSID. I am not real familiar with Android phones, but on the iPhone, in the settings app, you can see the Auber WiFi SSID without using any of the Auber apps. If you cannot see the Auber SSID, then you will not be able to get the Auber to move to your home network.

In the AuberWifi app, after entering your network password, you go to the settings app and switch to the Auber’s WiFi network. That is when it transfers the SSID and password to the Auber.

Good luck, that would be so frustrating to have the WiFi features but not be able to use them.
Clay from Taylor, TX
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

lcdearman

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 10:01:00 PM »
First cook with the Auber is a success. It holds temperature so nicely. Step 1 was 30 minute at 150*, step two was 225* until the "trisket" hit 200*, and step 3 was 140* for 2 hours. There was not a lot of smoke, and it is most likely due to the foil I have been keeping under the chip screen to eliminate combustion. I will remove that for the next cook. I ended up having to leave the house for a while and it was nice to know that if the meat hit the final temp while I was away, it would be ok.

As for the trisket, it was fantastic. Best thing I have cooked yet. I experimented with some tender quick too. I rubbed about 1 1/2 TBSP on the trimmed tri tip and washed it off 15 minutes later. I then rubbed it with salt/pepper/garlic. The bark was spot on and the meat was very moist. I put 2 potatoes in with the trisket at the start and added 2 ears of corn with a couple of hours left. They were good too, and it was nice to have everything cook together.

I'm very happy with the Auber and I think it will improve my cooks. It also allowed me to do a lot of work around the house as well as be away for a while without worrying about how things were progressing.
Clay from Taylor, TX
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker