Author Topic: First smoke- Thanksgiving Turkey. Need help with programming  (Read 834 times)

twotoneHS13

• Porter Sharpening Instagram
First smoke- Thanksgiving Turkey. Need help with programming
« on: November 25, 2021, 10:42:23 PM »
Hey guys so I tried my hand at my first
Smoke. I did a spatchcocked Turkey with a rub I found to my liking. However I tried to program the smoker to begin at 275 until food reached 135 internal. After that it would increase to 350 til 165 internal. After it would drop to 140 to hold warm.

However the smoker never changed box temps. I had to do this manually despite having it programmed in the steps.   

Any input as to why the smoker didn’t follow what I had set? I’m completely new to smoking and the system. But I thought I did it properly. I can’t figure out why it didn’t do what I programmed it to do.

Here’s a photo and video of my turkey! It was good to me. But I’m sure as time goes on I’ll get better and have better procedures.
Trent
Knives, food, and good times.

barelfly

Re: First smoke- Thanksgiving Turkey. Need help with programming
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 10:04:50 AM »
Looks like you had great results on that turkey!

As for programming, I know it can be finicky to get it set up but in theory it sounds like you were doing it correctly. Only thing I can think of is you had the program set up for timed cook at temp rather than step cook for each temp. Maybe not but that’s the only thing I can think of - or the program just didn’t register? I know I have my 3D set up for programmed cook so it ramps up to target temp. There are 6 steps for temp…I think you have to have each one after zeroed out for it to work?

Sorry that isn’t much help. But welcome to the board as well!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear