Author Topic: Salmon condiment question  (Read 1681 times)

prudentsmoker

Salmon condiment question
« on: March 05, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »
We are trying to get more fish in our diets and kind of like smoked salmon, but I can't help but wonder if the right condiments might make it more appealing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

barelfly

Re: Salmon condiment question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:46 AM »
You could try a glaze, like a peach or orange jam/glaze. Not sure what you have tried in the past, but even a smile brown sugar/salt cure over night brings a nice flavor to a simple smoke. I like using multiple rubs on it as well if I grill it. A little olive oil then rubbed with what ever flavor profile you prefer.

Not sure if you have a sous vide machine? This also produces some amazing salmon. Lower temp cook followed by a quick sear on a pan or the grill.

You mention appealing - are you not liking the way the salmon looks after cooking it? White fatty substance sitting on the fish? If so, a gentle heat, or slower cook, can help with that. My daughter will eat salmon, but not if it has the white on it :) haha.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 10:03:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I should have mentioned I did brown sugar/kosher salt dry brine. I do have a sous vide and will try that also. I looked up salmon condiments and found lots, just wonder if they would still be good on smoked salmon.
Brian from Wichita

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 10:27:01 PM »
I love smoked salmon.

I like the skin free fillets.  I will rinse and dry them then coat them with brown sugar.  I add a little Traeger Salmon Shake and then smoke for 2-3 hours at 180.  I still like to do salmon on the pellet grill.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

prudentsmoker

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:15:57 AM »
Thanks. I will have to check out the Salmon Shake.
Brian from Wichita

SeaWolf

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 06:13:10 PM »
The type of salmon you use is also important. Sockeye has the best flavor an oils in it for a really good smoked fish IMHO. All smoked salmon is great, every one has a different flavor profile, but Sockeye seems to come out the best. I use alder for fish. Different woods would also taste different. Rum is good too.

CURE:
    2-3 lbs. fresh whole boneless salmon fillet.
    Approx. 1 1/2 to 2 cups dark rum (e.g. Bacardi or Cruzan work well)
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    2 Tbsp ground black pepper

Directions

Cut the salmon fillet(s) into manageable portions, then skin them if desired

Put in a glass or non-reactive dish and cover with dark rum (no need to measure the rum; you just need to cover the fish so it coated all over). Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, flipping the portions halfway through (so both sides are well marinated). You can also prick with a fork to get more rum into the fish.

While waiting, make the rub by mixing the brown sugar, kosher salt, and black pepper.

Drain the rum and pat dry the fish and the container. Spread a third of the rub on the bottom of the container, then lay the 1st layer of salmon on top. Spread another third of rub on top of salmon, then lay last layer of salmon followed by last of rub. (If you only have one layer of salmon then split the rub into halves vs thirds). Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.

With enough time prior to finishing the rum-soak, soak your wood chips (I recommend apple and/or pecan) and get your smoker started to bring it up to 150F. Rinse salmon in cold water to wash off most of the rub (the cured salmon is the prize, not the layer of rub) and pat dry. Put in smoker, add wood chips and smoke for up to 8 hours at 150 degrees. Go by internal temp as fillets differ in thickness.

Remove the salmon from the smoker and let it rest under a tinfoil tent for 5 min and dig in.

I, personally, have played with the temperature, (1.5 to 2 hours @ 225 degrees). I have left the fish in the rum for 24 hrs and with the rub another day. Have at it. Good condiments are sour cream, sliced red onions, capers and fresh dill.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:20:03 PM by SeaWolf »