Author Topic: Wi-Fi Connectivity  (Read 1758 times)

OldeSmoker

Wi-Fi Connectivity
« on: January 06, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »
I have installed a new cable Wi-Fi network in place of the old AT&T DSL I had. I have an Arris Surfboard SBG10 combination modem/router. I deleted the app and reinstalled it. I reset the device on the 3DW and moved it into the room with the modem. The router is dual band but they are separate networks with different names. I have connected my iphone to the new 2.4GHZ network and have attempted multiple times to connect the 3DW and haven’t had any success. There has not been any problem connecting other devices, laptop, tablets, phones, Dish Hopper etc. I have checked the troubleshooting in the manual but still having problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Metrakay

Re: Wi-Fi Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:49:14 AM »
I have had similar problems with my 3dWifi. For a few months, I found if I connected old lower grade router I could connect to it, just had to have both smoker and phone on same network. Ultimately, after having the lower grade router off and the smoker off for a few weeks, I could no longer connect to the old router. I got really peeved and used it manually for a few weeks.  Then I tried it on the new router and it was able to connect but oddly I could only use the app on the iPad and not on the iPhone, the iPhone could never find the smoker.  I’m still using the iPad app as the controller. I have no idea how the smoker was finally able to connect to the new router. Or why the iPhone app won’t work but the same app on the iPad does.
MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

OldeSmoker

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
I can’t understand why Auber, a technology company wouldn’t be using a universal Wi-Fi module. All of my other devices connected immediately so it has to be the Auber. It’s not like it is very old. I just bought this smoker in August. I’ve emailed Steve, so hopefully he can help.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 07:09:44 PM by OldeSmoker »
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:46:01 PM »
>I can’t understand why Auber, a technology company

As bad as they are at writing usable code, I'm surprised their technology works at all.  I wonder if they even have any coders or if they're actually a hardware company that outsources the coding and they don't even know how bad it is.

The Auber software (all of it... on the controller and on the phone) is so bad that I don't recommend the D and WiFi models and really feel that it tarnishes Smokin-It's otherwise excellent brand.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:16:37 PM »

As bad as they are at writing usable code, I'm surprised their technology works at all.  I wonder if they even have any coders or if they're actually a hardware company that outsources the coding and they don't even know how bad it is.

The Auber software (all of it... on the controller and on the phone) is so bad that I don't recommend the D and WiFi models and really feel that it tarnishes Smokin-It's otherwise excellent brand.

Larry,
That is a shame to hear. Unfortunately I didn’t read more posts about this problem before I made my purchase. The new router I purchased is widely used and has connected seamlessly to all of my other devices. I made sure and checked my owners manual before I purchased a new router, because I remembered that there were some routers mentioned that were not compatible with the Auber. Steve emailed me Friday afternoon and said he was contacting Auber to see if there is a solution. I hope they find one.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »

There are a lot of folks with the D and the WIFI models that seem to have no problems and others that worked through the quirks.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus