Author Topic: Heating element problems? Check your temp knob!  (Read 2037 times)

BeerPalate

Heating element problems? Check your temp knob!
« on: August 28, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »
I haven an older model 1 that I bought used.  After multiple longer than anticipated cooks and struggles to get my model 1 over 200 degrees, I thought I was looking at having to replace the element or get a new smoker. 

I gave the unit one last look, dial seemed tight, unit would click on at the right spot, but unit wouldn't get to temp according to the dial.  Not sure what I did, but at some point, I'm sure out of frustration, I yanked the knob off.  Lo and behold, there was enough grip to get the feel that I was adjusting the dial as indicated, but along the way turning it actually slips/doesn't completely move the inner post and reads the wrong temp on the dial.  :o

Grabbed a tri-tip and set to the unit to 200 based on the flat edge of the "post".  Sure enough, 200 degrees on the dot.  After a short cook and reverse sear, the tri-tip was juicy and delicious, but not pictured because my wife likes it cooked to to Med Well :)

Long story short, check your temp knob as one of the potential fixes/solutions if you are having temp. issues.
Erik in Southern California

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Heating element problems? Check your temp knob!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »
Good tip!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers