Author Topic: Dill Pickle Jerky Advice  (Read 2553 times)

PhilH

Dill Pickle Jerky Advice
« on: February 18, 2020, 02:42:40 PM »
I am looking for options/advice.

I have the Excalibur/Walton’s Inc Dill Pickle Jerky and snack stick seasoning.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/dill-pickle-jerky-stick-seasoning

I’m going to make jerky with it, adding 8 fl oz of water per 5 lbs of meat. I bought 5 lbs of eye round sliced by the butcher.  I’m going to use pork belly’s method of 100 F with the jerky fan running.

I’m wondering if I should use any smoke at all?
I think the pickle flavor might be better with no smoke.

I’m also wondering if anybody makes jerky with no cure.

Here is a link to Michael Ruhlmans jerky recipe, he doesn’t use a cure.

https://ruhlman.com/2009/03/02/charcuterie-at-home-beef-jerky/

Here is a link to Alton Browns jerky recipe, again no cure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe-2103581.amp

I am not against using nitrates. I like the flavor they bring to bacon, ham, and hotdogs, I just don’t like it in everything.

I am against botulism. I just don’t like the flavor they contribute to everything.  I would prefer non cured jerky, if possible.

But why is it necessary to use it for jerky, snack sticks, and smoked sausage, but not bbq?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:44:32 PM by PhilH »
Phillip   Ramsey MN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Dill Pickle Jerky Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 02:15:53 AM »
Personally, I would never make jerky without the cure. Too much chance for the nasty bugs especially if you are going to smoke at a low temperature like 100 degrees. If you want to make jerky without cure, you would definitely want your internal meat temp to hit at least 140 degrees within 4 hours which you won't be able to do when low temp smoking.

I do agree with the low temp smoking but tend to smoke my jerky more around 140-150. Any higher than that and you are cooking your jerky instead of drying it.

To be honest, here lately I smoke my jerky for a few hours at low temp in my smoker and then move it over to my dehydrator. I like the texture/color that I get from the dehydrator better than when I do the whole process in the smoker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhilH

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »
I decided to use the cure.
Let it sit in fridge for 24 hrs
Smoked with chips, by turning the temp up till I got some smoke, then back down for 2 hours.
Then out the jerky dryer on and set to 100F

Some was done around 6 hours, some longer than 12

This was meat I bought from the butcher pre sliced and it seemed like very even pieces to me.

As far as the dill pickle seasoning from Excalibur and Walton’s Inc,

The dill pickle flavor is very light, and it is spicy.  I like spicy so that is fine, but I will use the rest of the seasoning for snack sticks, and perhaps add pickle juice instead of any water needed to the meat block

The photo with the %s is the back of the seasoning bag, the amounts are what Walton’s recomends, but I did the math for easy figuring next time
Phillip   Ramsey MN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:46:38 PM »
The jerky looks really good! They have a nice dark color. Part of that comes from using the cure as well.

I think dill pickle is kind of an acquired taste though. I love dill pickles, but am not that crazy about dill pickle potato chips, sun seeds, etc.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.