Author Topic: Fresh Sausage/Bratwurst first time  (Read 1779 times)

PhilH

Fresh Sausage/Bratwurst first time
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »
I am going to make 5 lb of bratwurst.

I will be using the ranch bratwurst seasoning from Walton’s Inc, and using natural hog casings 32-35 mm.  I will be using already ground pork, and stuffing using my kitchen aid mixer, I still do not have a stuffer, or good grinder.

The procedure that Walton’s recommends is grinding twice through a 3/16 plate, mixing the seasonings by hand, then stuffing.

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/756/fresh-sausage-106-basic-bratwurst-processing

Would you recommend I just season the meat, and stuff it, or possibly, season, then grind/stuff through the 4.5 mm plate at the same time?

Phillip   Ramsey MN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Fresh Sausage/Bratwurst first time
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »
I would guess that hand mixing then running through a plate might give better distribution of spices/flavorings.  I have to tell you that I have zero experience with sausage making.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

PhilH

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:52 PM »
Thanks, sarge.  I just bought on a whim a grinder for my kitchen aid mixer, and have really gotten into sausage making.  I will be eventually getting a good grinder, and a stuffer.  It’s actually taking up too much of my free time, I’m going to have to reign it back a little.
Phillip   Ramsey MN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
5 pounds will be really easy to mix by hand, and since you are making a fresh sausage versus cured, you don't have to worry about protein extraction. So, I would grind without the seasoning and add it after you are done grinding.

I would make sure that you meat is chilled very well before you grind and stuff. That will help with the grinding and stuffing. I will sometimes put my grinder auger and plates in the freezer for awhile too. This helps keep the meat cold which should prevent the fat from melting and getting sticky which will make it harder to grind/stuff.

Let us know how it goes and make sure to post some pics. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.