Author Topic: Sous Vide Steak  (Read 1996 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Sous Vide Steak
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
Sous Vide Steak Grill - Greg

Ingredients:
1 12 oz. prime ribeye
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Pre-heat a water bath to 140 degrees.
Season the steak with salt and pepper and place in a vacuum bag and seal (I use my Texas Rub)
Sous vide for 2.5 hours, remove from the water bath.
Heat grill to 600 degrees (add wood chips)
Remove from the bag and pat dry. Brush both sides with mayo. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side, remove from grill and let rest for 2-3 minutes.
*Note, very tender and tasty.

barelfly

Re: Sous Vide Steak
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »
Looks good! I love a SV steak. What is the final temp you are at after the sear?

I usually pan sear on the CI pan when I SV a steak. But your method and photo are showing good end results!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
I've always wanted to try this, but have been concerned about using the grill to sear part. I too would be interested in knowing what your final temp was after your sear.

I like my steaks between Rare to Medium Rare, and typically only grill my steaks for 3-4 minutes per side (unless they are REALLY thick) when they go on raw. If I were to do 2-3 minutes per side on a steak that had been sous vide up to even 115-120 degrees or so, I would worry that the time that it would take to sear would take me over my desired end temperature of 125-130ish. I would have to play with the sous vide time a little bit to have the temp when coming out of the sous vide bath to be at the right temperature to still allow a sear on the grill. I know it can be done because Guga gets his steaks perfect every time, but I think that he normally uses a torch of some kind versus a grill.

I wonder if using my Searzall after the sous vide would be a better option for me since I like my steak so rare.

Correct me if I am wrong, the benefit of sous vide when cooking a steak is where you should be able to get a larger section of evenly cooked pink inside with only a small part of the outside that has the sear on it.

I haven't used my Anova for a long time. This reminds me that I should really get the old girl fired up again. I have a chuck roast all prepped and in the freezer ready to go already.

I am still a rookie when it comes to my sous vide cooking. The main thing that I usually use it for is chuck roasts and I love how they come out. But, I should really try to branch out with some of these other things that you guys are doing.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 10:11:21 PM »
I usually SV at a temp of 120-125* for steaks.  I will allow to rest or even chill in an ice bath and then oil, S/P and hit it on the cast iron for 30 seconds a side and do that twice for each side and baste with butter. This gets me right at 130-135* which is perfect!

Maybe Greg chills his as well or allows it to cool for a while so the final temp doesn’t get above.

It looks great though! That’s why I asked.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 09:59:31 AM »
I usually SV at a temp of 120-125* for steaks.  I will allow to rest or even chill in an ice bath and then oil, S/P and hit it on the cast iron for 30 seconds a side and do that twice for each side and baste with butter. This gets me right at 130-135* which is perfect!

Maybe Greg chills his as well or allows it to cool for a while so the final temp doesn’t get above.

It looks great though! That’s why I asked.

That is a great idea to let the steak rest for a bit after you pull from the sous vide! That just might be the ticket.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 12:42:28 PM »
I do let the steak rest before grilling or hitting with a torch. But my wife and I like our steaks more medium so 140-145 works for us!
Best Greg