Author Topic: Quick question about smoked sausage  (Read 2228 times)

shrews824

Quick question about smoked sausage
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
Hey guys/gals,

I'm really wanting to dip my toe into the smoked sausage realm. 

Can I smoke regular store bought sausages and they turn out ok?  If so, what temp do you all recommend smoking?

I don't have the equipment to make my own sausage so I thought I'd give the store bought kind a go. 

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Scott
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

EFGM

Re: Quick question about smoked sausage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »
I'm sure this will (understandably of course) make a sausage maker groan, but what I do is just buy Eckrich Smoked sausage, 42oz pkg and put them on at 240 for 3-4 hours, sometimes a little longer. In an analog I would use 225 for same period of time. They always come out great and melt in your mouth.
Compared to making your own I am sure it is like they say about bacon, after you do it once, you will never go back to store bought, but since your like me and have no sausage making tools, I take the easy route.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

shrews824

Re: Quick question about smoked sausage
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »
I'm sure this will (understandably of course) make a sausage maker groan, but what I do is just buy Eckrich Smoked sausage, 42oz pkg and put them on at 240 for 3-4 hours, sometimes a little longer. In an analog I would use 225 for same period of time. They always come out great and melt in your mouth.
Compared to making your own I am sure it is like they say about bacon, after you do it once, you will never go back to store bought, but since your like me and have no sausage making tools, I take the easy route.

Ok.  Great.  Thanks for the tip.  And yeah, I'm going to have to get some equipment so I can make my own.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.