Author Topic: Smoking Garlic  (Read 2431 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Smoking Garlic
« on: December 23, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
Anyone else smoked garlic?  Any how-to or other knowledge you'd like to share?  I've done it once before and got decent results, but want to get as much community knowledge as possible for doing it again.  I just bought four pounds that I intend to smoke in the next week.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
Re: Smoking Garlic
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
I was planning on trying to smoke some as soon as the next crop comes in.... would appreciate any suggestions like wood type , length of smoke , etc. Appreciate it!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
What I did last time was pretty straight forward...

* Cut tops off heads and drizzle with olive oil
* Smoke at 225 for 2 hours

After it was done it was easy to squish out the garlic cloves.  From there I lightly chopped them and put it in a mason jar that I kept in the refrigerator.  Made it very easy to use.

I'm hoping to do it a little different this time to get a stronger smoke flavor.  That might look like poking holes, scoring the skin, cutting the bottom and top, or something similar.  Haven't really decided.

Plan to use hickory and pecan.  Don't remember what I used last time.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Meatball

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
Thank you!!!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 10:10:56 PM »
So I went ahead and smoked my garlic this afternoon/evening.  I followed the previously posted 'recipe' using a fairly liberal amount of olive oil.  I used 6-8 oz of hickory to get a really solid smoke infusion and I'm very happy with the smell.  I used 'racks' that allowed a lot of smoke to reach the garlic.  (The racks are mesh pizza screens that I cut on the edges to make them fit in the #2.  I also use these for nuts.)

I put some in a mason jar for immediate use and vac-sealed the rest into separate portions to freeze and use in the future.  I'm very happy with how everything came out.

Meatball

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
Thanks again...…  on the to do list!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector