Author Topic: smoking cream  (Read 2202 times)

BabsBBQ

smoking cream
« on: July 06, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »
I just wanted to share my experience with smoking whip cream. I wanted to try some new dessert ideas using my smoker. I didn't see anything about smoking cream on this forum, so i looked elsewhere. The general consensus was to cold smoke the cream for 20 mins. I followed another forum member's suggestion on cold smoking and set the smoker on 250 until it started to smoke and then turn it down to 100. I used a small handful of hickory chips. Typically, with whip cream in general, I mix 2 cups cream with 8 oz of cream cheese and stevia (to lessen my addiction to sugar). This mixture in itself is really good. The smoked cream was really too powerful and somewhat bitter. I ended up using 1 cup of the smoked cream and 1 c of regular cream. This still was a little too powerful (for my taste anyway). The flavors balanced somewhat (I also added about 2 Tbsp vanilla to the mix)when I added the other elements of my dessert- smoked peaches (30 min- when I smoked the cream), and grilled pound cake (buttered and toasted). The smoked peaches and pound cake by itself was really good. if i do smoked cream again, I will probably only smoke for 5 min and see how that goes.
i really hated the thought of just throwing the rest out so I mixed the remainder 1 c smoked cream with 1 c regular cream, thinking I may incorporate it in other recipes in small quantities. I put about 2 tbsps in a batch of mashed potatoes (1/2 smoked potatoes and 1/2 regular- about 8 altogether) and it added a nice flavor. I might do the same in a batch of mac and cheese.
Oh well, live and learn.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:25:42 AM by BabsBBQ »
#2 user
I'm a gardener, canner, baker, dehydrator, and candy maker.
Now I'm a smoker- the good kind :)

BabsBBQ

Re: smoking cream
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
So trial and error later, I found that 10 min in a glass loaf pan gives the cream just the right amount of smokiness.
#2 user
I'm a gardener, canner, baker, dehydrator, and candy maker.
Now I'm a smoker- the good kind :)

Walt

Re: smoking cream
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
Creative! I like it.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill