Author Topic: 42 day Umai dry bag aging - boneless ribeye  (Read 9837 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 42 day Umai dry bag aging - boneless ribeye
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 03:05:09 AM »
I will be using Umai bags in a fridge in the garage.  The temp is 37 degrees, but no fan.  Thanks for the advice on air circulation!

I would use your regular refrigerator then, and move the beer :P (or other stuff) out to the garage fridge. Air circulation is key to dry-aging.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
I contacted the frididaire folks and they said the the refridgerator has a fan that moves air from the freezer to the fresh food section.  Will that be enough air circulation for dry aging? 

SconnieQ

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
I contacted the frididaire folks and they said the the refridgerator has a fan that moves air from the freezer to the fresh food section.  Will that be enough air circulation for dry aging?

Rooster
Looks like key is that if the freezer compartment is "frost-free", you are good to go. This modern feature is what removes excess moisture from the air and keeps the meat from just rotting. Here is a really good link:
https://www.drybagsteak.com/blog/ask-maureen/2015/12/06/

And another little tidbit, although the link above is the most thorough information.

MYTH #4 DRY AGING can be done in a dedicated dorm/mini fridge. Dorm and mini fridges are basically electric coolers. They do not circulate air inside which is necessary for removing moisture from the surface of the meat. A modern frost free refrigerator has a fan that circulates the air inside and removes the moisture evaporated by various foods inside. Generally a mini fridge will trap the evaporating moisture inside and create very fertile environment for mold and bacteria.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:38:35 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »
Thats a great link!  Thanks!  the fridge is a 1992 model but the freezer is frost free.  I just assumed that there was no fan, but sounds like i am good to go.  I did not want to take up the kitchen fridge or ruin a primal prime rib either. 

SconnieQ

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
Thats a great link!  Thanks!  the fridge is a 1992 model but the freezer is frost free.  I just assumed that there was no fan, but sounds like i am good to go.  I did not want to take up the kitchen fridge or ruin a primal prime rib either.

Sounds like it will be fine then as long as it's in good working order. You might want to open/close the door every now and then, maybe once a day or so, just to recycle the air.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
Since this post popped up today, i thought I’d post a pic of day 21 of the process. From seeing other photos, the color is doing well. Firmness seems to be good. Also, you can smell the meat, almost a red wine kind of smell. Unless my nose is off. It’s a good smell though, not spoiled smell. I showed a few friends this past weekend and they noticed that as I opened the fridge.

Halfway there!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
Lookin good! A nice mahogany color. Good contact with the bag.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Roostershooter

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »
sorry, did not  mean to hijack your post.  Looking great!

barelfly

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
No worries. Your posts have helped me learn some. This is my first go at dry aging, so I still have questions and have friends that ask me questions. So, keep posting!

It did remind me to get a photo posted for the weekly update though!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

barelfly

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Day 28 photo from last Tuesday. Flipped it fat cap up. Coming along well. I haven’t been home for the last week, but met up with my wife and kids this weekend and the kids told me the fridge smells funny. My wife confirmed it was a bad smell, just had a different smell to it than normal. I told them that’s the smell of good eats!

Sorry the photo is upside down. I can’t figure out why the photos do that even when I flip them to try and get it correct on the site.
Fixed...just edit them in Paint, or any photo editor on the computer, after rotating.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:05:01 PM by DivotMaker »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Roostershooter

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
What are your cooking plans when this is done?  Will you cut all into steaks or leave half for a smoked prime rib?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
I have never gone the dry aging (or wet aging) route.  But I have to admit I am getting the urge to give it a shot.  Sometime.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 10:35:49 PM »
The day has come! 44 days in and I have steaked out and Sous Vide with a cast iron sear my first dry aged ribeye. All I can say is wow! Absolutely wonderful flavor and texture. I have 8 ribeyes left averaging .8lbs each along with a 2.25lb roast that I’ll either smoke or make more steaks out of.

This was outstanding!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

SconnieQ

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 10:50:02 PM »
Steaks look great! How would you describe the flavor after 42 days. Beefy? Mushroomy? Cheesy? Gamey? Barnyardy?
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
Looks good Jeremy. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle