Author Topic: Cold Smoke Plate Water Retention  (Read 3263 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Cold Smoke Plate Water Retention
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
I realize that the cold smoke plate should not be submerged in water.  However, after using it, I've been washing it off under the faucet and cleaning the gunk off it.  It's never been submerged and I always have it on its side with the water running down either the top or bottom.  I only put minimal water on whatever side is up while I'm washing it off and I try not to leave the water running on it for very long.

The 2 times I've used it now, it seems to get water inside it despite my efforts not to get water in "cracks".  I typically turn it on a corner (as shown) and it drains out over a short period of time.

Does everyone have this issue?  How do you clean yours?  Is a little water getting inside going to be an issue?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Cold Smoke Plate Water Retention
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »
I have never had water in mine, but I have also never washed it. I wrap the whole thing in foil. Looks like new. I assume there is insulation inside, so water getting inside is probably going to have a negative effect on it's insulation properties if it is fiberglass. Maybe it is some kind of foam. It should be okay if it dries out, but it will be kind of hard to dry out. Probably just wrap in foil from now on, and maybe eventually the heat from usage will dry it out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:26:10 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
I have. Didn't change the insulation properties that I could see. Kari's idea of heating will probably help.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
I have never had water in mine, but I have also never washed it. I wrap the whole thing in foil. Looks like new. I assume there is insulation inside, so water getting inside is probably going to have a negative effect on it's insulation properties if it is fiberglass. Maybe it is some kind of foam. It should be okay if it dries out, but it will be kind of hard to dry out. Probably just wrap in foil from now on, and maybe eventually the heat from usage will dry it out.

Interesting... I didn't know this about cold smoke plate either. So you wrap your plate in foil during the smoke and discard the foil after, then re-wrap next session with fresh foil? I don't remember, but were there instructions saying not to wash these in water? I haven't used mine in so long I guess I don't remember the usage details.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA