Author Topic: New to smokin=it  (Read 4008 times)

lovemesomeQ

New to smokin=it
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »
hi all  , been reading through this board for a few weeks now, and im looking to buy a 2/3  or 2D, how accurate is the analog  2 or 3 in maintaining the desired temperature,, thanks so much look forward to posting on this site, peace to all , Carlos (south florida)
Carlos from Broward,Fl
Gosm

va_rider

Re: New to smokin=it
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »
I started with a Model 2 in June of 2015. This summer, I added an Auber. The analog controller was giving me temperature swings of 30 degrees. The Auber keeps it within a degree or two.  I don't have experience with the D models, but I like my #2 much better with the Auber. I personally like having the Auber separate rather than built in though. It's nice knowing that if the Auber were to crap out, I can replace it.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »
how accurate is the analog  2 or 3 in maintaining the desired temperature

Welcome!  The analog temperature swings quite a bit.  However, the best thing you can possibly do is quit measuring it and quit worrying about it.  It's really completely needless worry.  The main thing is to use wood with a proper moisture content so that it doesn't just catch on fire which can diminish the smoke and spike the temperature.

With the hassles and sometimes problems people have posted about the aubers, I couldn't be happier that I went analog.  My #2 cranks out perfection so effortlessly, that I can't even see the auber providing me any value.  YMMV  (your mileage may vary)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
I have the #2 analog as they say.  Looking back, I'd get a #3 so I wouldnt have to cut rib racks down.

I dont measure temp swing in the box.   Just set the temp and let the box do the magic.   Probe meat to temp or cook ribs to tender desire.

If you like the idea of digital and can afford it go for it.  BUT............. I dont think any of us care or check temp swings in our kitchen ovens cook once we set a desired number (temp) for cooking.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:47:20 AM »
The 30 degree swings I get in my #3 are of little consequence to me and I would put my results up against anyone's Aubered or D model.

The thing that the Auber does give you is programmability which helps automate some of the processes that have to be done manually in an analog model.

I would much rather get a bigger #3 than go down to a #2 with an Auber or a #2D.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

lovemesomeQ

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
thank you all, just waiting to pull the trigger on a model 3 i think..
Carlos from Broward,Fl
Gosm

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »
I have the #2 analog as they say.  Looking back, I'd get a #3 so I wouldnt have to cut rib racks down.

If I have any mixed emotions about getting the #2, this is it.  I thought seriously about getting the #3 and decided it would simply be too large.  I still think I made the correct choice, but I still second-guess myself once in a while.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
I first had the Model 2 and while it had temp swings the end result was always positive!

I did upgrade to the 3D when I moved to Georgia earlier this year and while its big for two people household, I really like it.

Best Greg

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »
I normally only smoke for me and my two boys. But, I love being able to smoke extra and then vacuum-seal and freeze. It is such and awesome thing to come home from work and not feel like cooking and then just pull something out of the freezer and reheat and have an instant meal that tastes as good if not better than the day it came out of the smoker.

I regularly smoke two pork butts at a time just so I always have pulled pork available. In fact, I just realized yesterday that I am down to only two packs in my freezer, so it is time to smoke a couple more and restock my freezer again. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
I forgot that the ability to smoke entire racks of ribs and brisket without cutting in half is an awesome advantage with the #3 too. And two pork butts easily fit on the same shelf, whereas in a #2 they are going to be pretty squished together if they fit and more likely have to be placed on two shelves which causes the lower one to get done earlier than the top one.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
Welcome Carlos from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Carlos.    You won't go wrong with either a #2 or #3, so do what works best for your budget.   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ibbones

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Welcome from South Texas.  Cannot go wrong with any of the SI's
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

drains

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
Welcome from Texas! Get the largest size the budget allows. Buy once cry once. Besides, you can't go wrong either way you go. They are all winners.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

lovemesomeQ

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »
Thanks all for all the good information.

Thank you all  for all the good information.

Carlos from Broward,Fl
Gosm