Author Topic: Sausage Making Myths  (Read 2815 times)

Jeffinn

Sausage Making Myths
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:10:29 PM »
I keep hearing some of the same things repeated over and over. So here's a few of the sausage making myths (according to me) that I've heard repeatedly in other forums.
  • Myth #1 - Collagen casings are tough, they don't stick to the meat, they don't have a good snap, they're too chewy.I've done a few hundred pounds of sausage snack sticks and I've used collagen casings for all of them. I've never once had collagen casings peels away, or lack great snap. I have not had the need to switch to sheep casings to get that great snap or that great color. Maybe I'm just lucky
  • Myth #2 - All hog casings are created equal. This simply isn't true. There are vast differences in the quality of casings from one manufacturer to the next. If you had alot of trouble stuffing your sausages the last time you made sausage then consider another source for your casings.You may spend a little more but you'll enjoy the process much more with a higher quality product.
  • Myth #3 - Spices are Spices. Since most of the flavor for your sausages is coming from your spice mix, you should attempt to use the freshest spices available. Spices lose their flavor rather quickly once they're ground so if you're still using that special spice that you bought back in 1995, pitch it and get a new batch. Spices are cheap and the extra flavor boost that your sausage will get from the fresh spices is well worth the few dollars spent.
I'm sure there are other myths floating around out there, feel free to add them to this list.
Jeff

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sausage Making Myths
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
This looks the start of a great discussion among sausage makers!!  Nice idea, Jeff.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Sausage Making Myths
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:27:38 PM »
I can't argue with any of that.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.