Author Topic: Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature, and Safety Guides  (Read 33018 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Sous Vide Basics - Time, Temperature, and Safety Guides
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
I've been trying to figure out what the danger actually is for sous vid'ing a steak (ribeye) at 129F for over 2 hours?  Can someone please explain it a little further?

On several occasions, I have cooked Ribeyes at 129 for 3-4 hours.  Mainly because I was waiting on guests to arrive. All of those occasions, they turned out excellent. I've got some friends coming over today and am planning Ribeyes and was thinking I might even cook 4-5 hours in sous vide. But I remembered someone had posted something about it being dangerous for food safety reasons.

If I cook at 131 for an extended time, won't that make the Ribeyes less tender?

How worried should I be if I cook at 129?
I wouldn't worry about cooking at 129 for 4-5 hours. Usually it is recommended to cook ribeyes at 129 for up to 4 hours (so your 3-4 hours is totally within the recommended range). If going longer, increase the temperature to 130-131. You can see from this graph, bacteria will no longer grow at 125. And existing bacteria will start to be killed at 130. Like all meat, Ribeyes will only get more tender the longer you cook them. It's more a matter of texture. Tender cuts like Ribeyes might get a "mushy" texture if cooked and tenderized too long, although I don't think that wouldn't happen until after 10 hours or so.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 11:44:32 PM »
Thanks Kari!

I ended up cooking right at 3 hours at 129F, then of course searing.  Turned out extremely excellent, as always. Our guests were very impressed(we are used to that when we sous vide). 
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SmilingMEL

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
This may seem obvious, but if anyone hasn't, I recommend downloading both the Anova and Joule apps. Their cooking guides and recipes are complimentary with overlap, and neither requires you to have its cooker to install and use the guides, though I believe the Joule app does require a free ChefSteps account. For that matter, I've found the ChefSteps website itself to be a very good resource.

Mike from Fairfax, VA
SI Model 1 and Weber Genesis II
Anova Sous Vide Cooker

barelfly

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
Thanks for this write up Kari. This is great! Gives me some reading for the Anova on its way!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

1stlink

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
Thanks for all the Sous Vide info you have posted Kari. I'm very intrigued and shopping for my 1st device. I have downloaded the 124 page book... Lottsa reading.
Thanks again