Author Topic: 1st brisket in Mod II  (Read 3433 times)

Lcole

1st brisket in Mod II
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:43 PM »
A little back ground. Hi I'm Levi from Texas. I'm no seasoned grill master but normally have full bellies and smiling faces when I get done. Just placed my first brisket in my new mod II. It's been in my freezer for a few months because I got it on sale from Walmart for $1.38lb. It is the cheaper choice cut but it will be a good trial starter one!  It was a 15 lb brisket and I did some trimming off the flat to make her fit in there. I've got some good stew meat now! Well I soaked her for about 12 hrs in the famous brine that most all of you know on here. I rubbed course pepper, granulated garlic powder, and Lowerys on the outside with a small coat of mustard. I'm using hickory that was left over from what was sent with the model 2. There was 2 small chunks. I added another chunk of hickory that I use in my charcoal grill. It's not the "special" wood just a bag that I bought from Academy. I placed that wood at the very back of the wood box because in the breaking smoke it seemed like that was the cooler part of the box. Well I plan on smoking it for around 20hrs or so. I do have a temp prob in the thick part of the flat so just waiting for that 195-200 temp! I did put a water pan in the bottom. I used the Metal pan that was sent with the unit and filled it up with water. I'm hoping it will be enough water for that long. I've seen where y'all will use loaf pans and I'm sure that will hold a lot more liquid. Well I think that's about it. I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Mike

Re: 1st brisket in Mod II
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
Sir, sounds good, my only question is "the metal pan sent with the unit" is this the drip pan that you are using as a water pan? The pan is placed under the box to catch the drippings/fat. Most of us use a disposable foil pan with liquid inside the unit next to the smoke box/element.

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:48 AM »
Steve had been shipping new units with the Sasha Flavor Savor that hangs from the grill rack. They actually hold quite a bit of liquid to help maintain the moisture level inside.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:30:46 AM »
Thanks Andy, didn't know that. Now it makes sense.

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

Lcole

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
Well about 12hrs in and the temp is at 165.

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Hi Levi, welcome from DFW Texas.  Sounds like a good brisket to start with.  Even low cost meats taste great using these smokers!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
I am impressed with all of the information you have absorbed from this forum and applied to your first smoke, and first brisket! Your Choice brisket is perfectly fine. Prime meats are only 3-4 percent of all meats out there, so getting Choice is quite good.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Lcole

Re: 1st brisket in Mod
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »
Well it turned out awesome! The only trouble I had was it started falling apart on me when I was removing it from the cooker! I guess I should taken pictures but didn't think about that. Thanks for all the info! I think my next project will be ribs or pork butt.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st brisket in Mod
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »
I guess I should taken pictures but didn't think about that. Thanks for all the info! I think my next project will be ribs or pork butt.

We'll give you a "pass" on the pics....this time! ;) ;D   We love to see pics!

Next project, pork butt?  Go for the brined butt, and you'll never look back! 8)

Nice job on the first smoke, Sir!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!