Author Topic: "Newbie" observations and questions  (Read 2909 times)

Bucket from NW Georgia

• Bucket from NW Georgia
"Newbie" observations and questions
« on: January 26, 2016, 01:21:28 AM »
Hi from NW Georgia.
While still a "newbie" (5 weeks in), I've got some observations and questions:

-I have smoked 4 butts.  Butt 1,2, and 4 have been just awesome.  Folks telling me that I've provided some of the best pork they have ever had.  I have always followed DMs brine recipe, and have implemented all of the hints that my forum friends have shared.  A couple of common things about these smokes is that all of them have used HICKORY wood, and the rest time (double wrapped in HD foil, wrapped in towel, in cooler) has increased each time.  Butt 1 - 1 hour rest (15 1/2 hour cook time).  Butt  2 - 4 hours rest (15 1/4 hour cook time).  Butt 4 - close to 8 hours rest (19 1/2 hour cook time - larger butt).  Does anyone else let their's rest this long?  Even after resting 8 hours, the meat was warm to hot when pulled....but the mustard / Daves rub combo made the best "crust" when resting longer.  It was like caramel and was just loaded with flavor.
Butt 3 was different in that I used OAK.  It definitely affected the taste....tasted slightly "piggy" (I don't know how else to describe it).  It rested for approx 2 hours.  Don't get me wrong - it was great....just DIFFERENT.

Are there general rules for wood types (especially in regards to taste)?

Thinking about BEEF, what are some of your favorite "off the grocery store shelf" rubs?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Success story:  My daughter's club volleyball team recently participated in their first tournament.  All of the families volunteered to bring various items for food, drinks, and paper products.  Of course, I offered to bring PORK.  During a break in the action, some of us assembled lunch bags for everyone associated with our team - containing smoked pork sandwiches, chips, and fruit.  The food was a hit, and the icing on the day was bringing home the championship!  They played some good volleyball, but I would like to think that the good FUEL helped a little haha.

Thanks again all forum posters for your helpful tips.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:28:18 AM by Bucket from NW Georgia »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: "Newbie" observations and questions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
Ha Bucket! I'll bet the other teams were wanting lunch too! I don't go beyond 2 hours of rest on my meats because I usually can't wait that long.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
It sounds like you're off to a running start! When I smoke, no matter what smoker I use, I always use a combination of apple and hickory on pork and beef. If I do poultry, I only use apple or peach. I also use peach on pork. Fruit woods work very well with pork and chicken. For beef I have used oak, pecan, alder, cherry and even maple. My personal preference though for ribs (beef and pork), butts and briskets is hickory and apple. Everyone that eats it loves it so I guess as long as that's the case, I'll keep it like I've been doing it for the last 15 years :P

Keep smoking and post lots of pictures ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
QQ
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
Bucket, congrats on the win, and congrats on moving to the "next level" of our hobby addiction....discerning taste!  Because the SI is a such a "clean" environment, you can really taste the differences in seasonings and wood smoke.  I treat wood smoke flavor as any other spice; it needs to match the meat, and my own taste preferences.  I'll give you my preferences, but they may not be yours!  For example, Jason favors apple in just about every smoke...I hate the taste of apple smoke!  Mixed, it's not bad, but I do not like it by itself.  So, whatever you hear is subjective to your tastes, and you will need to find your own through experimentation!

If there was only one smoking wood in the world, what would mine be?  ...Hickory, without a doubt.  I grew up on hickory BBQ, and to me, it just smells, and tastes, like BBQ! 

If I have choices:

Beef:  I prefer hickory, mesquite, white oak (whiskey barrel), red oak.  Beef is hearty, and can take the stronger smoke of hickory and mesquite better than others.  I also like pecan on beef.

Pork:  Cherry is my favorite.  I often mix a little hickory and cherry, or just straight cherry.  Great with pork!  I also like peach, but not as much as cherry.  Good ol' hickory is always a backup.  Hickory/maple is good, too.

Poultry:  Again, cherry is the hands-down favorite on poultry.  Maybe a mix of hickory/cherry, but usually just cherry.  I also like maple or ash on yard bird.

Anything cured?  Hickory, or mesquite (beef jerky).

Again, these are only my choices!  Everyone differs, so try some and give us your preferences!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bucket from NW Georgia

• Bucket from NW Georgia
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Hey DivotMaker and Jason:
What about the REST part?  You guys ever let it rest 4 to 8 hours?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
I've never gone 8 hours in the cooler.  If I hold one that long, I'll throw it in the smoker at 140, wrapped in foil.  I have gone 4 hours in the cooler, but anything longer gets to get happy in the smoker.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »
I've gone 4 hours, but I think that would be the longest I would go for a rest outside of the smoker.

I have on occasion if the meat gets done early turned the temp if the smoker down to 140 when the internal temp gets to 3-5 degrees under my desired temp. The residual heat will carry the temp the rest of the way. You can then use your smoker as a warming box and then remove 2-4 hours prior to your meal for your rest time.

Or if you are done real early, pull vacuum pack, and then reheat by putting the vacuum packed bag in a pot of simmering water or a crockpot with a half cup of apple juice or Coke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:36 PM »
I've done 3 to 4 hours rest in the cooler, no probs and all warm and nice.

If you get done SUPER early, gives you time to pull apart, sauce and foil in a casserole dish.

Ready and waiting for rolls.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:33:09 AM »
My 2 cents here :)

I have held butts and briskets 6 hours with no ill effects. I usually do big shindigs where I'll cook 1-2 butts and a big packer brisket and I seem to have a knack (it's luck moreso than skill) of getting the meats all done at about the same time. I think due to that, having 2 or 3 big pieces of meat in the cooler helps keep it warm for a long time. I towel line the cooler and double wrap the meat and then more towels on top. You can also do as some do and pour boiling water in the bottom of the cooler and let the towels get soaked in that water, then put the meat in there but I'd be worried about water getting into the foil. I guess if you had a way to elevate the meat off of the bottom of the cooler, the water trick would be great. Maybe using bricks or cinder blocks or a wire rack type shelf.

Now that I think about it, I've kept a small 5 pound butt hot in a mini Coleman cooler before, the kind that holds like 4-6 cans of beer! It was still scorching my fingers when I was pulling it!

With all of that wasted typing, I normally don't let it go more than 2 hours :P
Jason from Conyers GA