Author Topic: Special delivery  (Read 3090 times)

icebob

Special delivery
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »
Never thought that finding back fat would be such a pita in my area >:( Thx to the interweb, got a nice package from the brown truck, 15 lbs of the white marvel ;D Here's a pick of the pile after separating it in  1 lb format... now let's make some sausages!
P.S. Just found how to do the little pics thingy 8)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:11:41 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Special delivery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:24:17 PM »
I'm not a sausage maker, Bob, so I'm just asking a novice question:  Couldn't you just use good fat trimmings off a pork butt?  I'd be glad to send you all my trimmings! ;)   Sad day when you have to buy fat off the internet!! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
all the butchers around here also make sausages, so they don't want to sell me some back fat, trimming works fine for some sausage but for some you want the quality of the back fat... now I'm just waiting for my 5" casing to show up to do a mortadella... back fat is good to use as a "show" fat,,, like in mortadella, sopressata.. you just blanched the cubed fat and mix it in your link after all the other mixing is done.... I just like to use the right stuff for the right end product 8) i think ( but not sure) that back fat is preferred as a "show" fat have something to do with the melting temp...If you have time, a good read is the book: Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Mariansky... this is my nightstand book....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:52:25 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »
Sounds like you know your sausage, Bob!  I had no idea there was differences in pork fat!  Thanks!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

icebob

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »
Sounds like you know your sausage, Bob!  I had no idea there was differences in pork fat!  Thanks!!
I had no idea before I read The Mariansky's book... now just trying to do the stuff right... :P I'll still takes your trimmings tho ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:19:40 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:37:17 PM »
Lol! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas