Author Topic: #3 Smoker  (Read 5098 times)

Obxjoe

#3 Smoker
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
Thinking of purchasing a smoke-it #3 for smoking sausages and a brisket now and than. How low a temp will it produce smoke at? I need a smoker that will run at 165. Thanks in advance.
Joe from Washington, NC
ECU Pirate!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #3 Smoker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
Hi Joe!  No problem with that temp.  I regularly smoke beef jerky at 140.  For sausage, I highly recommend the jerky fan.  These smokers hold a lot of moisture, and it helps a great deal for things like jerky and sausage.

Now that you've found us, go ahead and give us a first name and town in your signature line - we like to know our new friends! 

Let us know how else we can help!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Obxjoe

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »
Thanks Tony.mi will look into the fan. I am planning on getting the #3 this coming week. :)
Joe from Washington, NC
ECU Pirate!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:19:01 PM »
Hey Joe, welcome from Kansas City, you will enjoy your #3 as I do mine. I second what Tony stated about the jerky fan. I also might suggest a cold plate shelve as some of the smokes you might do will require a low temp.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
One thing I used to do when I had mine, was put the meat in cold from the fridge then turn the unit on......this will keep the element on longer to get the smoker up to temp with a cold mass in the smoker. This will ensure that your wood gets to smoldering and proteins are most receptive to smoke the first couple of hours anyhows............
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Obxjoe

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions on the plate and the cold meat. I am liking this forum already. I have a gas smoker and use a webber charcoal grill too but I am looking forward to the smokein-it.
Joe from Washington, NC
ECU Pirate!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
Hey Joe, the cold smoke plate is great if you really want to cold smoke, but you don't need it for low-temp smoking of sausage.  You'll actually get better results without it.  We have some real sausage experts on here (Pork Belly, NDKoze, to name a couple), and I'm sure they'll chime-in.  You can do anything you want, in a #3, with the right technique!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »
You don't really need/want to cold smoke (less than 100°F) sausage.

Smoking temp depends on what type of sausage you are talking about. But the Smokin-It smokers will do a great job.

As others have said, you must have a dryer or some type of fan/blower (I bought the SI James Jerky Dryer) to remove moisture from the smoker because the environment in the SI smokers is so moist (normally a good thing for ribs, pork butt, and brisket) without a dryer you end up steaming the sausage instead of drying/smoking it and the casings will not stick to the meat.

For low temp smokes around 165 you'll want to use chips/pellets instead of chunks because they will start smoldering at lower temps. I normally prefer chunks. But for low temp smokes, the chips/pellets just work better.

No need for soaking either.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Obxjoe

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »
Been a bit busy here. The river rose! We had rain for a straight 12 days which came to 20 inches and 8" in the basement and a foot in the yard but all is good. I haven't been able to try out my new #3. Steve was great to work with. I have turned on the smoker today and I am attempting to calibrate the PID. I hope to smoke my first chicken tomorrow. I have seasoned the smoker prior to the rains. I thank all for ideas and suggestions and hope to try some soon. I was going to try smoking some sausage this weekend after 3 sunny days but it rained today lol.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:59:07 PM by Obxjoe »
Joe from Washington, NC
ECU Pirate!