Author Topic: Snack sticks in the #3....racks  (Read 3598 times)

dert

Snack sticks in the #3....racks
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »
Anyone know how many pounds can be done on the #3 with 4 racks layed flat (not hung)?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Snack sticks in the #3....racks
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:05 PM »
I dont remember how many I stuffed in there. I do know that I should have done a smaller batches. You will need a jerky fan or they will sweat and be inferior quality.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

dert

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
To answer my own question....

15# of 18mm snack stick on 5 racks.  Tight fit!

Using the fan!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
I recommend cutting them to straight lengths. Everywhere they are touching they are not getting smoke. Straight sticks with slight gaps is better.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

paidin

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
I agree, straight sticks are the way to go if you do not have the height of the #4.  How did they turn out?  Pics please!
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
I also agree that straight sticks are better.

18mm stick are pretty thin, so 15lb-20lbs is probably about the max you will get in there.

I always use 21mm or 23mm casings and can fit 25lbs of stick in the #3. But, I think I use 6-7 racks. I think you could fit them onto 5 racks, but you would have to get the sticks pretty close together. In the pictures below, the smoke casings are 21s and the clear are the 23s. I think we actually prefer the 23s as they stuff better especially if we add high-temp cheese and we can fit more in the smoker. In the end the size difference in the final product from 23s to 21s is pretty small.

Here is a post from one of my previous batches. I have done several since then, but haven't created posts for them as they were pretty much the same and all turned out well.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2284.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.