Author Topic: The perfect snack sticks in the perfect smoker  (Read 6586 times)

paidin

The perfect snack sticks in the perfect smoker
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
This is my second attempt at snack sticks in the #4.  I used the spicy snack stick seasoning from ps seasonings.  I added 4 ghost peppers to the 25 pounds of deer and pork meat.  Put the meat in the smoker at 1am and programmed the auber like this:
100 degrees for 2 hours
120 degrees for 2 hours
140 degrees for 2 hours
160 degrees for 2 hours
185 degrees until internal temp hits 150 degrees.

Plugged the jerky fan in so that it could extract the moisture.

I loaded up the amnps and lit one end.

I woke up at 6am to get ready for work and saw the internal temp was at 124 degrees and the smoker was at 140 degrees (i think).  There was about 1 inch left of pellets in the amnps.  Placed the IP camera to view the auber so I could monitor the cook while at work.

The IT hit 150 degrees at around 2:15pm I think.  The auber shut the element off but the fan kept extracting moisture out and cooled the cabinet down to ambient temps (75 degrees today).

When I got home at 4:30pm, the sausage was perfect.  No oils on the skin of the sausage and no drips on the bottom.  Good indication of no fat out.  Cut some samples to taste and it was superb!  best snack sticks I have ever eaten.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:04:55 PM by paidin »
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Mike

Re: The perfect snack sticks in the perfect smoker
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
Looks great, just purchased a grinder and stuffer, waiting for shipment to begin making sausage and sticks.

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
Nice job, indeed!  Those are some incredible-looking snack sticks!  Our resident sausage makers will be proud of you! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

paidin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Nice job, indeed!  Those are some incredible-looking snack sticks!  Our resident sausage makers will be proud of you! 8)

Thank you!  I feel that I have the cook down, I just have to come up with a good recipe.  That spice mix I bought for this was perfect.  I want to be able to make it from scratch.  Until then, I have 3 more of these 25 pound spice packets.  I also need to master the jerky smoke
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

paidin

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »
Looks great, just purchased a grinder and stuffer, waiting for shipment to begin making sausage and sticks.

Mike

I bought the $180 cheap grinder off ebay.  I am now saving up to buy a real grinder.  At least one that does not require earmuffs to use!

I also have the 5 pound sausage stuffer.  I feel 5 pounds is not enough.  Not sure what I want to upgrade to next, maybe a water stuffer?  Those seem like such pains in the buttocks to clean up afterwards and store though.

I also would like to buy a meat mixer.  My kitchen is definitely not big enough for everything I "need" LOL

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
You'll get the jerky next time - just up that temp a bit, and don't do it while at work! ;)   Some of the best-looking snack sticks I've ever seen!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
Hit up Pork Belly (Brian) and NDKoze (Gregg) on the sausage making equipment - those two really have it down!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:11 PM »
I like the LEM Grinders I have a #8 it is plenty big. There are several companies sell stuffers, get what you can afford but get metal gears.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mcinore

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:06:42 AM »
Sticks look great , gives me confidents in the dryer ....nice job.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks