Author Topic: WSD-1200GPH vs WSD-1500GPH  (Read 5772 times)

1stlink

WSD-1200GPH vs WSD-1500GPH
« on: January 06, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
WSD-1200GPH vs WSD-1500GPH

My Model #2 is on order and I want to add the PID controller. I'm ordering direct from Auber because they offer a choice of sensors and I want the wall mount option.

WSD-1200GPH meets the requirements wattage wise for the #2 but would it be wise to add the extra oomph of the 1500 model? It's a $30 upgrade option. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

PS, I have asked Auber for their opinion also and will post their response here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:52:45 AM by 1stlink »

1stlink

Re: WSD-1200GPH vs WSD-1500GPH
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
Reply from Auber:

Hi Ralph,

WSD-1200GPH is the same with WSD-1500GPH except 1500GPH is designed for larger power handling. If 1200GPH is already enough for you, there is no need to purchase 1500GPH unless you want to spend more money.

The SSR inside is an electrical switch, it has infinite lifetime with proper usage; the smoke generator control is a mechanical switch, but you only open that once each time.

The GPH series plug'n play device have the most durable parts among all of our selling controllers now, so please do not worry about the lifetime issue.

Best,

Azalea
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »
Ralph, you'll be fine with the 1200, but I would personally go for the 1500.  I have extensive time with the 1503CPH (the older model), and not as much with the 1200GPH.  While both perform the same function, I'm personally into "overhead," whether is power driving amps, speakers, or anything electrical.  The 1200 is actually rated up to 1450 watts, but it's a smaller unit and I think it has to work harder.  I notice a heat difference between the 1503 and the 1200.  Bottom line is the 1500 just doesn't have to work as hard to produce the power needed to drive that 700 watt element.  Anything working in the middle of the power band, vs. the upper end, will have a longer life, in my experience.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
That is exactly why I inquired. I spent several years in the electrical field but it was a while back. Some gear does get hot, lose efficiency, etc when loaded. We didn't have Solid State Relays back then '60s or at least I didn't. I have always gone oversize if it is at all practical.
The gal from Auber doesn't think that it is necessary But I know that it certainly can't hurt...
I would like to know more about the forthcoming Digital model from Si. Will current models be upgradable? Steve touched on it but didn't say a lot in his email. Time will tell, I guess..  ???

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
I would like to know more about the forthcoming Digital model from Si. Will current models be upgradable? Steve touched on it but didn't say a lot in his email. Time will tell, I guess..  ???

Good things around the corner, Ralph, but no release dates set - may still be awhile, as Steve works out production issues.  We've been working hard toward perfecting the digital since last year's test model, and it's still in development.  Not sure about upgradability yet, but will know more as we get closer.  Right now, the best upgrade you can make is the addition of the Auber, but the smoker works great without it!  Rest assured, I will keep you all posted as this develops!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »
Digital new model?  hmmmmmmmmmm    Keep the lid on it, before cooksh*** finds out.

8 degrees, with wind here.  I had to use an oven tonight!

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
   Ordered this AM:
Smoker Controller, Dual Probes 1800 Watts
Item #: WSD-1500GPH
Sensor Type Option - Smoker, Wall Mount

Now I'll have to check on the latest install tips from all you Smokin-it modification Gurus.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
   Ordered this AM:

Now I'll have to check on the latest install tips from all you Smokin-it modification Gurus.
Ralph,
Having done mine this last weekend, my best tip to you is to find an armor piercing round the right diameter and shoot the required holes you need.  I'm not kidding.  The bypass and wall mount install is so easy that a 5 year old could do it.  But I spent 2 hours and a couple trips to the hardware store trying to drill my holes.  Good luck!  A center punch and a pool of oil in the well is the key to success IMO.
Dave
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

1stlink

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:11:22 AM »
   Ordered this AM:

Ralph,
Having done mine this last weekend, my best tip to you is to find an armor piercing round the right diameter and shoot the required holes you need.  I'm not kidding.  The bypass and wall mount install is so easy that a 5 year old could do it.  But I spent 2 hours and a couple trips to the hardware store trying to drill my holes.  Good luck!  A center punch and a pool of oil in the well is the key to success IMO.
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement.. "armor piercing round"  lol ;D  Drilling SS isn't a fun job but I have done it before and know to press hard, go slow(low rpm) & oil helps and yep bits will break. I plan on installing the wall mount sensor upon arrival and doing the bypass later as I need to order the switch, etc.

Cheers, Ralph

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:23:31 AM »
I meant the beginner bypass, disconnecting the SI controller with the bridge connector.  I want to get a lot more smoker time with this unit under my belt before I decide whether the switch is a necessary mod.  I haven't figured out the benefit of it yet.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah