Author Topic: Cook Times  (Read 11432 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Cook Times
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »
Ok, I am not sure if this post belongs in this area but I have a question to those who have done a bit of smoking. For large cuts of meat like pork butt, I find that my smoking time is considerably more than what most folks see. For example, I did two butts over the weekend in my #2 for a friend as a Christmas present (Merry Christmas to him!  :) ) There were two butts at about 8.75 pounds each. They wouldn't fit on the same rack without touching so I put them on two different racks. As expected the lower one was done first. It took 21 hours to get to 195 which was longer than I expected (2 hrs / pound should have been about 17 hrs). The second butt didn't finish until it had been in for 28 hours! Waaaayy longer than I expected plus it was 0300 so I really wanted to be in bed. They both turned out great and were juicy and tasty but needless to say I was surprised. I live at 6500 feet and wonder if that significantly affects cook time for larger cuts. Do others that live at higher altitude find the same thing? Here's a pic of the first one.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Cook Times
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
I am at 4600 feet and my times are at times tad higher than I initially expected when I went electric.  I have no idea why.  Ambient temperature?  Air pressure? wind blowing across the top of the smoker sucking out the heat? Who knows?   I just chalk it up to the cut of meat and it's connective tissue which is something I do understand, somewhat. It isn't much, so I just accept it frustrating as it may be. I will also increase the starting cook temp from 225 to 230/235 on occasion to speed things up when the event calls for a closer finish time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
Did you have a smoker probe going? If so, what were your smoker temps? And where was your smoker probe located?

Putting two butts in a #2 is filling it up pretty full. So, here would be my suggestions for a large quantity smoke:

1. Increase temp to 235-240.
2. I would place the butts on the same rack even if they are touching a bit as long as they aren't mashed together and pushing up against the sidewalls of the smoker. Even if they were mashed up against each other and could be and inch or two from the sidewalls, I think I would still rather have them on the same rack. As they cook they will shrink a bit. Plus, I don't think the butts touching each other is really going to affect the results too much other than losing a bit of bark in the areas that are touching. I would rather have the butts up higher in the smoker rather than worrying about whether they touch each other or not.

I have a #3, so don't have this issue very often, but if I were doing a similar smoke in a #2, this would be what I think I would do. So, take it for what it is worth. I will be interested to see what Tony and the other #2 owners have to say and if they think I am off base in my suggestions or not.

The real question, is how did the butts that you smoked turn out? The one in the picture looks pretty darn good.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
Greg, didn't have a probe in the unit this time since I used both for the butts. But in general, the analog controller works pretty well and the temperatures I get on the probe match close enough. The good thing is the butts came out really well. My reason for asking is that I am trying to figure out a better approach to estimate completion time. In this case it didn't matter since no one was coming over for dinner. But then again, I guess I could have served them the wine that I brew until 0300 and then have dinner. But I guess by then they probably wouldn't care....  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
I'm glad to hear the butts turned out well at least. :)

Typically, I really like to stick with 225 for butts, but if you are really loading up a #2, I think going to 235-240 should help.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
Bob, I think the altitude, and meat load, effected your times.  First, the air at your altitude is less-dense than those of us down here at 1,200 feet.  Therefore, it will take more heat to get the same ambient temperature effect of more dense air.  If I lived in Colorado, I would up my temp by at least 10° on everything, and more in windy/cold conditions.  Maybe some of the engineers will chime in, but my aviation background leads me to this theory.

Also, having that much meat in there effects time, and another 10° should compensate for that, too.  All things considered, even smoking at 240° is pretty low-temp.  No reason a couple of butts should take that long, no matter what the meat is like.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TARDISgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:55 AM »
Ok, I am not sure if this post belongs in this area but I have a question to those who have done a bit of smoking. For large cuts of meat like pork butt, I find that my smoking time is considerably more than what most folks see. For example, I did two butts over the weekend in my #2 for a friend as a Christmas present (Merry Christmas to him!  :) ) There were two butts at about 8.75 pounds each. They wouldn't fit on the same rack without touching so I put them on two different racks. As expected the lower one was done first. It took 21 hours to get to 195 which was longer than I expected (2 hrs / pound should have been about 17 hrs). The second butt didn't finish until it had been in for 28 hours! Waaaayy longer than I expected plus it was 0300 so I really wanted to be in bed. They both turned out great and were juicy and tasty but needless to say I was surprised. I live at 6500 feet and wonder if that significantly affects cook time for larger cuts. Do others that live at higher altitude find the same thing?
I am actually finding the opposite with my times. I put in a 4 pound pork loin last month in at 225 and 2h45m later I'm at 155 IT.  Right now I have a 6.4lb pork bone-in shoulder and 5 hours later I'm at 168 IT.  All my meat seems to go quick - ribs only take about 4 hours to get to not quite at fall of the bone stage.
I live in a fairly dry environment, and I'm at 5000ft (or 6800 if I'm at my parents').
Anyone else at high elevations?

Edit: Ok, finally hit a stall at 172 after 6h30m. Waz getting worried there!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:12:22 PM by TARDISgirl »
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
Interesting, Michelle!  Another "data point" in our high altitude cooking info!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TARDISgirl

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Ok, the shoulder did take just under 12 hours. I really got worried with how quickly the IT was rising initially -- but then it hit 170 degrees and slowed down significantly.
6.4lbs at 225 with olive oil as a binder and Salt Lick rub. No brine, though I'll probably try that next time.
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »
It is the dreaded stall that really increases time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:23 PM »
I really got worried with how quickly the IT was rising initially -- but then it hit 170 degrees and slowed down significantly.

Dave hit it (as usual) - you've learned about the "stall!"  It freaks most folks out, how quick the temp rises when you put the meat in the smoker.  You think to yourself "At this rate, my pork butt will be done in 3 hours??  How can that be??"  Hehe.  Welcome to "evaporative cooling!"  As that bad boy soars in temperature, it will hit a point where the liquid starts pouring out, and the butt (or brisket) will cool, just like us when we sweat!  The Stall.  This can last for several hours, but is definitely where the "magic" is happening!  It's where all that internal fat and connective tissue is rendering into sweet goodness!  Still falling at under 2 hours per pound isn't bad at all!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Here's more to ponder. I did Toni's meatloaf yesterday. Double batch so I made two loaves. The larger of the two hit 155 when the smaller was still at 145. I finished the smaller one in the oven but it was weird. The meatloaf was good though.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »
The stall must be why beer was invented. Ball game stalled because of rain; boss stalling on that promised raise; spouse stalling, well you get the gist. No different with the smoker.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 07:18:04 PM »
I get your point Dave. Also the reason for red wine.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
I give the same amount of thought to the cook times of your meatloaf as Dave does. ;)

What I really meant to say was how impressed I am with that plate of loaf & beans!  That's a great-looking plate! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas