Author Topic: Uncle Kenny's Fry Sausage  (Read 2821 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Uncle Kenny's Fry Sausage
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »
This is a long-time family recipe that I could get in trouble for sharing so don't tell anyone ;)

It is a very basic old ND German Fry Sausage recipe that we have been making for years. This is very similar to Gene's (MNGuy1959) Family recipe. But I thought I would share it anyhow.

Uncle Kenny’s Fry Sausage Recipe

25lb. batch (We have a 50lb mixer, but have found that mixing smaller batches mixes much faster and better)

• 15lbs. Ground Pork
• 10lbs Ground Venison/Beef
• 7oz. Morton TenderQuick
• 2oz. Ground Black Pepper
• 1/2 of a bulb of garlic (peeled and diced)
• 1 Quart Cold Water
• 2.5 lbs. of High Temperature Cheese (Optional)

1. Add diced garlic to the water and let soak for a minimum of 1 hour (2+ better).

2. Add spices and water slowly as you mix.

3. If you are adding the High Temp Cheese, wait to add until after you have thoroughly mixed the rest of the spices.

4. Fry a patty to test.

5. Stuff into hog casings.

6. It is best to rest overnight in a cool garage or fridge before smoking.

7. We have a meat market smoke ours as we typically make 100-200 lbs. at a time. However, I believe that they typically smoke them at 190 degrees for about 2 hours.

8. Allow to cool completely before packaging.
    a. We use Saran Press & Seal and Freezer Paper as it is cheaper than vacuum sealing when you are packaging 200lbs of meat. But, vacuum sealing while more expensive would be better long-term. Most of ours does not stay in our freezers long enough to go bad.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
Re: Uncle Kenny's Fry Sausage
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »
All I can say is YUMMY!!  Thanks again!! 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!