Author Topic: #2 Coming  (Read 2801 times)

wmwilker

#2 Coming
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
I just got my shipped notice and wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to smoking so I have a lot to learn so please bear with me.
I like cooking and love a lot of different types of meat. I'm interested in smoking sausage and cheese as well as the regular stuff.
I'm in Alabama so I have some experience with the grill and have smoked some sirloin tips on a Weber kettle girll.
I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and learning a new way to cook.

Mike

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: #2 Coming
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
Welcome to the Smokin-It Forums from ND Mike!

You have definitely come to the right place and you are starting out with a Cadillac instead of a Yugo (throwback ;)).

There is a ton of information on this site and lots of great recipes and tips in the Recipes section.

I always recommend a Boston Butt as a first smoke as it is pretty fool proof and gives you an idea of how your smoker will work. I brine all my butts and have had awesome results.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
Welcome Mike, Shipping takes a few days but it gives you time to read up and see what direction you want to start. Lots of good information here. ND and I both make a ton of sausages, let us know if you have questions or issues.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 07:26:56 PM »
Hi Mike,

welcome to the forum and our club.  There are a lot of posts here with useful information to help guide you during your smokes.  If you can't find what you are looking for, all you have to Odis start a post and your get the answers you are looking for.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:43:25 PM »
Welcome, Mike!  Congrats on the new #2!  It's a fine unit, and you won't regret your decision!  Season it without any foil - just 3 of the hickory dowels @ 250 for 4 hours, and you're good to go.  A lot of things you've learned about how to smoke meat may not apply here - these are Lazy Q at its finest!  Find a recipe or two on here that looks good, then try to duplicate it.  Don't get too fancy, or creative, on your first smoke or two.  Get to know how she'll treat you, then let the creative juices flow!

We're here to help, so don't be shy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wmwilker

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I will definitely keep it simple for a good while and I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions when I get started.

Mike

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »
Mike, remember that we like questions, but we love pictures of great Q! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
Welcome from Arizona!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 07:37:46 PM »
Mike
I was a newbie last year. Learned a lot from the forum members.
My advise  read the forum, we have a lot of knowlegable folks. Dont be afraid to try different recipes.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?