Author Topic: Polish Sausage - New #1 Owner  (Read 4693 times)

Jeff

• #1 Newbie
Polish Sausage - New #1 Owner
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
Hello all,
I just received my new #1 and thought I would try some store bought fresh polish sausage links. Smoker was seasoned and I used hickory chunks and set it at 210. I pulled them after nearly 2 hours. IT was a bit higher than planned at 165. They looked great but I should have listened to all the warnings against using too much wood. They were pretty good but way too much smoke. Think I'm going to love this thing though. Just picked up some wings and I'm looking forward to giving those a try (less wood - lesson learned).
Jeff

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Polish Sausage - New #1 Owner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
How much hickory did you use?

I would think 2 ounces would be plenty.

I always weigh my wood.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Jeff

• #1 Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Hi Greg,
I need to get a scale. I put 3 chunks of hickory (bought at BassPro Shop) for a fairly small batch of sausage. Not sure of the weight. Things I need as I am new to smoking: Scale and Maverick type temp probe.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
Yeah that was a lot of wood then. I'm not sure how big your Bass Pro chunks were. But, each hickory dowel from Smokin-It is roughly 2 ounces +/- .5 ounces.

So you probably had about 6 ounces or so.

Hey, ya live and learn though right.

Yeah a digital scale and a Maverick are pretty much must haves.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Jeff

• #1 Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply and advise. This seems like a great forum where I can learn from those with experience.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 05:45:28 AM »
Jeff
I would recommend getting a scale. You want to be precise on how much wood you are adding to avoid over smoking the product.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

mike.bryant

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
Does the amount of sausage smoked change the amount of wood to use?
Mike from Aurora, IL

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
The amount of sausage would not change the wood amount...I would still go with 2-3oz of wood.  If you want more smoke, then add a bit more for the next smoke until you reach your desired level.  The SI smokers don't require a lot of wood to generate plenty of smoke!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
I learned the hard way to Jeff...I had too much smoke on my first smoke...But I did get me a digital scales and use it all the time now..You will love your smoker...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...