Author Topic: Brine for Boston Butt  (Read 95840 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Brine for Boston Butt
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's still cooking. I'm at 17 hrs and ave temp on all three butts is around 183.

I used Memphis Dust for my rub.

The last time, I brined(and rinsed), injected and rubbed - my butts turned out better than I have ever had. Incredible!  I may try just injecting and rubbing next time.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 03:08:36 PM »
Nothing wrong with injection & rub only - butts are great, even with just rub!  I just find the brining really helps retain the moisture, and adds flavor.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
All that worrying for nothing. Turned out great. Not salty at all. I got lucky
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:50 AM »
I don't bother injecting butts. Just brine and rub.

I do inject briskets and sometimes poultry though.

I'm not surprised that it turned out good still.

Any pics?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
Unfortunately, no after pics.  Here are a couple of the brine and rub portion...

The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
All that worrying for nothing. Turned out great. Not salty at all. I got lucky

Nice!  I thought you'd be OK - glad to hear it was! :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

LongBall

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
Going to use this brine on a couple whole chickens over night season and rotisserie them. 
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 12:40:19 PM »
Let me know how that goes, Bart.  I've never used this brine on poultry (I use my all-purpose poultry brine instead). 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Greek

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »
Ok.  I am not sure my brine was below 40 degrees when I put the shoulder in.  I did use ice in the brine but I can't verify I got it cold enough.  Shoulder is 9lbs.  Went from the grocery store to brine within an hour.  I was just so damn excited to get this hunk of meat into the brine I may have rushed it.  Dammit!

Thoughts?
Bill
Rochester, MI
Rookie Smoker

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
My guess is that you are OK. I usually just test it with my finger and if it is room temp or colder it is good to go. You just want to make sure that the brine isn't hot enough to start cooking the meat.

I usually use half or more ice than water and the brine cools very fast. I usually have small little pieces of ice floating that are not melting because the brine temp has cooled enough.

1. Start with 1/2 if your brine liquid in a pan with the brine ingredients.
2. Fill a vessel for the second 1/2 of brine liquid with ice. Then add water to the fill line.
3. When your brine liquid from the pan is ready, combine the hot ingredients and the ice water in your brining container, and then stir.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Greek

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
Verdict is in.  Shoulder was AWESOME!  Thanks for all the info on this forum.  It's proving to be a most invaluable tool.

My 9lb shoulder went almost 14 hours.  I was 235 for most of the cook.  250 for the last few hours.  I would have loved to let it rest for longer but our patience ran out.  I was trying to have it ready by halftime of the MSU/Iowa game. 
Bill
Rochester, MI
Rookie Smoker

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Nothing like impressing your friends and family with some great food from the SI during halftime!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2015, 08:31:06 PM »
I'm not seeing any pics?  :o
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »
Glad to hear you and your guests are still with us, Bill! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

NVW-SSV

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2016, 10:57:47 PM »
Anyone store DM's brine in freezer bag (in fridge) for multiple smokes in consecutive days?  How long is too long to keep in the fridge?   

Also, is anyone else experiencing reduced times for smoking boston butts after using DM's brine?  I've been averaging 1.8-2 hrs/lb. before I started using DM's brine  ...... but after using DM's brine, I'm closer to 1.2 hrs/lb.  - - - Is this common?  Just trying to nail down my "start-smoking" times.

PEOPLE LOVE these boston butts with DM's brine, btw.      "best I've ever had,"   is coming in regularly
(paired with Weber Honey Garlic rub, good buy at Sam's Club)

Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)