Author Topic: Boudin on the smoker  (Read 6932 times)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Boudin on the smoker
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
Friend of mine brought me back a couple of her favorite boudin from her trip to LA.
Through in smoker on 225 for 1.5-2hrs. I can say that I have never really had anything like it. Too bad it has to come shipped from there, but darn good.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

rickne

Re: Boudin on the smoker
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
I almost bought some tonight.  I saw it at our meat counter...  In Nebraska.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »
Definitely not seen here in AZ but I really haven't tried too hard to find a store either. Was told its a Cajun thing.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:31:55 PM »
I guess this is my cue..... It is a Cajun thing.  A poor man's sausage.  The protein is mixed with rice to stretch it out.  Most Cajun cooking was developed to use every bit of the protein (hoof to snout) and was usually accompanied or mixed with a copious amount of rice.  Gumbo, jambalaya & boudin are all good examples.  It is precooked so it doesn't require a long cook time.  However, I usually smoke or Q mine alongside sausage.  Usually for 3 hrs @ 225 with about 3 oz of wood.  It is unique and is usually made with pork or seafood.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
Its not that difficult to make, especially if you don't stuff it in caseing. Can use it as a stuffing or roll in balls and a breading of your choice (panko, crushed crackers, crushed pecans, etc) & fry.  Many recipes with a quick internet search.  Very prevalent in SW LA & SE TX.  Almost every gas station sells it but the small independent butchers are where its at.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
well I found a place here in AZ but it sounds like it is more German than Cajun. I will have to try their take on it.
http://www.boudinlink.com/Schreiners_AZ.html
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

rickne

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
I have two racks of xtra meaty baby backs going now.  In about an hour, I'm going to add 5 Cheddar Brats and a couple of links of Boudain/Boudin.  Can't wait to try it. 

I'm not sure why it get's spelled so many different ways.  Maybe it's Loozianna Fonix   ;D

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »
Boudin is on of the easiest sausages to make, I use this recipe however when taste testing prior to stuffing we added more salt and cayenne pepper to our taste. Chicken liver can be substituted without negative results. You want your rice to meat mixture to be equal it may take more than six cups.

2 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pound pork liver, rinsed in cool water
2 quarts water
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1 cup chopped green onions tops, (green part only)
6 cups cooked medium-grain rice
1 1/2 -inch diameter, casings, about 4 feet in length

Directions

In a large sauce pan, combine the pork butt, pork liver, water, onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/12 hours, or until the pork and liver are tender. Remove from the heat and drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the broth. Using a meat grinder with a 1/4-inch die, grind the pork mixture. 1/2 cup of the parsley, and 1/2 cup of the green onions, together. Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the rice, remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley, and green onions. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix thoroughly. Either using a feeding tube or a funnel, stuff the sausage into the casings and make 3-inch links. Bring 1 gallon of salted water up to a boil. Poach the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is firm to the touch and plump. Remove from the water and allow to cool

*You have to be careful with the boiling process, the recipe above is copied directly from the original. What I found is best is to only poach it long enough to change the color of the casing. After that I chilled them overnight in the fridge and smoked them 2-4 hours on cool smoke only around 175. These freeze very well. After being fully thawed we put them on a small cast iron griddle at 200 in the oven until the casing crisps. This allows you to eat the casing getting all the smoke flavor.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/boudin-sausage-recipe0.html?oc=linkback
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:41:19 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud