Poll

Did you visit the forum before making your purchase, and what impact did it have?

Yes.  Briefly visiited, but didn't stay long.
No.  I never visited the forum before purchasing.
I visited the forum after I made the decision to buy
Information on the forum directly influenced my decision to buy
I visited the forum before purchase, but it had no influence on my decision to buy
I didn't know about the forum prior to purchasing.

Author Topic: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?  (Read 90415 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »
We're glad you're here, Ed! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dsskid

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
I was looking at an electric smoker, and the reviews recommended the Smokin-It smoker.  Went over to the site, saw the smokers and clicked on forums.  Came here read the stories of the owners are how happy they are with the smoker, and I was sold.

had a few questions, and members here were more than helpful.  A real credit to the quality of the product, and the people who have come together to make this forum special.
John, from Long Island, NY

DivotMaker

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
Thanks, John!  Welcome to the family! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elk_smoker

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
I learned from my prior electric smoker experience to definitely visit the owner's forum. That is where you get a true sense of the product. If I had done that before my prior purchase, I would not have made that purchase. Issues such as, "placing a brick in the cabinet to act as a heat sync", "installing a second heating element" and other absurd methods the owners were utilizing just to get the unit to function like it should have out of the box.  Those were all red flags but unfortunately, I didn't discover the forum until after my purchase.

So yes, I read through a lot of the forum here and what I read definitely convinced me to go with Smokin-It over the other two brands that were in the running. Believe me, that says a LOT.  One of the brands I was considering is manufactured in my home state, and I take a great deal of pride in that fact.
I never fail. I succeed at finding what does not work.

Smokin-IT Model 3,  Cajun Grill Super Cajun w/offset Firebox,  Southwest Smokers Portable Smoker/Grill, Backyard Steakhouse Infrared Grill,  Charbroil Big Easy Infrared Fryer

Kevin from S.E. Louisiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
Great story, Kevin!  Thanks for adding to our success stories!  I look forward to hearing of all your successes, and am always willing to help in any way I can! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

mini14gb

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
Ratings on Amazon had a major influence. I didn't even know this forum existed when I purchased.

DTpilot

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »
The forum convinced me the smokers here were high value...and they are.  After two smokes, we purchased a second one for our son in law this Christmas. Enjoy the community of everyone trying to get it right and helping each other.
Up North in the Woods

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
I have been smoking for a long time and have been using a Big Green Egg for over 13 years. While I always enjoyed the results of the egg, I was looking for something easier that could produce the same or better results.

My research took to to amazon and all over the internet. In the end I was looking at three vendors, Smokintex 1400, Iron Chef and #2 Smokin-it smoker.

I read a lot of the forum posts and in the end I have purchased the #2 smoker. The info on this forum is excellent and I felt much needed when changing from a different kind of smoking process.

Thanks for everyone's post, I plan to do my first smoke tomorrow night with Jerk Chicken Wings.

jbauch357

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
The first thing that got me looking at these was they seemed to be the same thing as the Cookshack smokers minus the built in controller, but for half the price (I haven't seen that mentioned before here, is that a taboo subject?).  Then I saw videos of Steve on youtube showing off the smoker and he seemed like a down to earth guy, it reminded me of my dad and his business.  Finally I made it to the forum and saw an active community discussing smoking on this specific line of smokers, and I figured it was a done deal.

When I went from a cheap Kenmore grill to a Weber, my BBQ basically instantly got 10x better and more consistent.  Same thing here going from a Masterbuilt gas smoker to the Smokin-it smoker instantly made my smoked goods 10x better and more consistent.

Having the forum here has been a great source for knowledge and a way to provide feedback on experiences, all up I'd be pretty disappointed if the forum died as it is now one of my daily checked sites.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
I honestly didn't know about the forum until I already made up my mind to buy :D

Glad I did find it though, you guys are great!

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
Sure glad you found it, Jason!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mini14gb

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »
To be honest my Smokin-It smoker is my second favorite possession next to my gun collection!!

Twancho

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
Smokin' It was recommended to me from a friend. I started looking at the reviews on Amazon and then found the forum. It definitely solidified my decision to buy the #3. Haven't set it up yet, but should be seasoning it by next weekend
Tom Wancho from Bethlehem PA

mizzoufan

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
I lurked for several months as I wasn't in a position where I felt I could spend the money.  I was originally looking at the #3 to make big batches of whatever and give my foodsaver a workout.  After seeing the delays once I was ready to purchase and figuring out just how easy these things were to operate, I went with the #2 and think that was definitely the right choice.  I can still cook for parties involving 15 people easily and have leftovers for a day or two.

The recipes and information available, as well as the established members' willingness to answer any question (no matter how obviously from a newb) sealed the deal for me.
Steven from KCMO