Author Topic: Venison snack sticks  (Read 5678 times)

Whitetail125

Venison snack sticks
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
I'm about 20 hours away from smoking my first batch of venison snack sticks (they are curing in the frig).  Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on the actual smoking part.  Need 165 for internal meat temp and was thinking about running the #1 at 200 degrees!  Any suggestions?  I will check back later, its muzzleloader season in Illinois and I'm going hunting.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Venison snack sticks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Man, I bet those will be good!  I recently smoked Canadian bacon, and smoked it long and slow (I think bacon or sausage needs lots of smoke).  I used this temp plan:  "I started with 4 hours @ 140, then bumped it up to 175 for an hour, and just upped the temp to 200."  This is from my post when I was smoking it.  I used about 2 oz of hickory, for a total of 6 hours in the smoke.  I would think snack sticks won't take as much time.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Whitetail125

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »
Thanks!  I will let ya know.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
By the way, welcome to our club, Whitetail!  Be sure to post something about yourself in the "Introductions" section when you can.  Oh, and we really like pictures...lots of good Q pics, if you can! 

Oh, and here's a post on names...post if you want.  If not, that's cool; just thought I'd point you to it!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=999.0

Tony
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:22:42 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
I had just posted this under snack sticks then I say this topic, so here is a copy and paste.
My experience making around 300 pounds of snack sticks the past four years pounds has caused me to develop a few opinions:
Butcher & Packer in Detroit sells the best tasting Stick seasoning, I buy the kit it has everything you need.
You need a snack stick stuffing tube, it saves your sanity, use the Collagen casings they are best for sticks.
You need at least a five pound sausage stuffer, stuffing off a grinder makes a mush consistency of your meat.
Vary the texture and size of your grind for a better mouth feel.
Adding High Temp cheese is never a bad idea, its tasty and increase your yield.
Stuff as much as you can at a time making long ropes, hang these ropes or cut to length and place on racks. You can twist licks if you want to look fancy but really nobody cares.
Run the smoker at 250, sticks are thin they take smoke quickly, a hot smoker keeps them from sweating and getting greasy. You want them to cook not sweat.
Don't believe the nitrate hype, use the pink salt that comes in you kit so you don't die or kill your friends.
Use a probe thermometer to tell when your sticks hit 150, yes I know the bag of mix says 165, however they don't want to get sued. 150 makes a moister more consistent stick. If a slab of bacon is fully cooked at 150, why would you torture those skinny little sticks all the way to 165?
At 150 IMMEDIATELY remove the sticks from the smoker and PLUNGE them into a large cooler of ice water, don't be stingy with the ice. This ice bath stops the cooking process, it cools the stick so meat and fat do not separate. It also prevents the sticks from being withered and the casing slipping off.
Cut the sticks to length, wrap in Cling wrap twice and freezer paper once, they will keep excellent in the freezer for several months or until your teenage children find them.
Enjoy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:16:41 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud