Author Topic: First use of my new #2--Pork butt  (Read 2499 times)

bdeleser

First use of my new #2--Pork butt
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »
Tried out my new #2 today!  Great results!!!  Smoked a 4# boneless Boston Butt and it turned out great.  Lathered it up with mustard and rubbed with a rub I got from a friend--Butt Burner rub mix.  Set it at 225 degrees and let it go for 4 hours with a piece of Hickory dowel and a piece of apple wood.  After 4 hours it stalled at 149 degrees, according to the Maverick thermometer.  Took it out and wrapped it in aluminum foil, put it back in and cranked it up to 250 degrees.  Took 4 more hours to get to 200 degrees internal temp.  Took it out and put it in a cooler for 30 minutes.  Final result was nice and tender, very moist.  Tore it apart with some Bear Paw tools, then mixed it up with some North Carolina style sauce for me and some ketchup based sauce for the wife and kids.  Delicious!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: First use of my new #2--Pork butt
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:06 AM »
Glad to hear it turned out great!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »
That stall can be a killer. You can smell the food yet it is not ready. So close yet so far away!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:00:06 PM »
Congratulations!   Sounds like you handled it perfectly, with excellent results!  Can't go wrong with a boston butt!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
Congrats!  Sounds great!  The stall is the bane of BBQ!  I just let it work itself out without wrapping.  I don't see much time difference, and the bark is better (in my opinion) with it unwrapped (chewy-er).  You'll also find that a little larger Boston butt (8-10 pounds) cooks better than a smaller cut.  Not sure why, I've just found they do.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!