Author Topic: Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."  (Read 19528 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
I'm on day 3 of a 12-day brine (cure).  I have 9 lbs of pork loin in my The Briner Jr for Canadian bacon!  Mark from MO (Shomesmoke) turned us on to this one, and I couldn't wait to try it!  Here's a link to the original recipe on another forum (Jeff Phillips'):

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/136954/canadian-bacon-using-pops-brine-2nd-try

Here's Mark's post:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1058.0

Picture 1 is the Briner Jr. full of pork loin, pic 2 shows the retaining ring in place, and pic 3 is the loins in the brine.  They'll quietly sit in the fridge until Saturday night (11/23).  At that time, I'll take them out, rinse/soak in cold water for an hour, then put in the fridge uncovered to dry overnight.

Sunday, 11/24?  That'll be Smokin-It Canadian bacon day!  Stay tuned!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

shomesmoke

Re: Canadian Bacon in "The Briner Jr."
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »
Ya Tony Im getting anxious to, I wish I had started this process a few days sooner our deer season opens Sat. this would sure make some good eatn in the deer stand. I will be spending about 12 hours a day in it for as long as it takes or till season is over. "except for Tuesday thats smokin day"!!!!
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
Can't wait to hear your results, Mark!  You settle on a temp to smoke to yet?  And, what wood are you using?  I'm thinking of straight hickory, probably 3 oz @ 180.  I want lots of smoke in this before it hits 150 (?)!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

shomesmoke

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »
Can't wait to hear your results, Mark!  You settle on a temp to smoke to yet?  And, what wood are you using?  I'm thinking of straight hickory, probably 3 oz @ 180.  I want lots of smoke in this before it hits 150 (?)!

Tony,  I have installed a pid controller on my #3 so im going to start at 120 for 2 hours up the temp to 140 for an hour then to 185 to finish at IT of 147 or 148 them rest covered with foil that should bring the temp to the 150 fully cooked area. Going to smoke with straight cherry wood.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »
Nice plan, Mark!  I don't have the PID, so I'll have to repeat your plan manually.  Can't wait to hear the results!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
Day 11 in the brine!  I'm going to take out the bacon tomorrow evening, soak in plain ice water for an hour or two, then put in the fridge to dry overnight (unwrapped).  Plan to smoke on Sunday.  My mouth is SO watering! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
Just saw it's supposed to get down to 16-degrees here tonight!  Definitely going to be a "cold" smoke tomorrow! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »
5 hours into the smoke.  I started with 4 hours @ 140, then bumped it up to 175 for an hour, and just upped the temp to 200.  I've had hickory smoke the whole time, so now I'm ready for it to get to 155!  Currently at 130.  18-degrees when I started this morning, and 27 outside now.  The #1 seems to be performing well, despite the cold!
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
Tony I hope you enjoy the bacon as much as we have, just sliced and fried the last chunk this morning for brunch. I brined a couple chickens overnight, be heatn up the #3 in an hour or so.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

puddle jumper

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
I have been watching this all week cant wait to here how it turns out...
are you guys adding wood the whole smoke??

Also good to know you smoker is doing so good in the cold air,,, that's one of the reasons I got a new smoker this summer so I can smoke all year long and not have the wind and cold mess up my cooking...
PJ

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:29:13 PM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
Thanks Mark and PJ!  Can't wait to try it!  12 days is a LONG time to wait! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

shomesmoke

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
PJ I started with 3 oz. of wood shut the door and never opened it up till the meat was up to temp. I have started spliting my wood into smaller pieces and it seems to be a more even smoke. Example today I smoked a couple of chickens with 1.5 oz of wood that was split into four pieces.

As for smoking when its cold I have used the #3 when it was 15 to 20 degrees with no problem at all. If its real windy you should try to block it or move to the other side of the house. If your smoking something with lots of fat like a pork butt when its cold watch your drip tray it can form a "grease sickle" and plug the hole in the bottom of the smoker.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
6:15 total time in the smoke, pulled it at 155 IT.  Wow!  This stuff is good!  I can't wait to taste it after it has a chance to rest in the fridge!  Not too sweet, not too salty, but just a little too much garlic in the cure for my taste.  I'll see how it tastes once it rests in the fridge, but I may have to adjust that next time.  I'll definitely be making more!
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
wow that looks amazing! such a long time to wait but sounds like well worth the trouble.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
No doubt, Ben!  The waiting is definitely the hardest part!  Very easy recipe, and great results!  I took about 2 lbs to work one day and had rave reviews!  Lots of folks said it was the best "ham" they'd ever had!  Hehe.  Great on pizza, btw!  I got a cheese-only pizza from Papa Murphy's and added this; absolutely incredible!  Better than the CB they sell, for sure!
Tony from NW Arkansas