Author Topic: Foil and towel at the end?  (Read 3259 times)

netherman

Foil and towel at the end?
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
So I temporarily chickened out after reading the brisket entries.  I feel I need to get a better handle on how to offset my temp on my #2 before tackling something like that.  I am going to go with a butt tomorrow...brined after reading the success stories here.  I keep reading folks saying that at the end they double wrap in foil, put in cooler, and cover with a heavy towel.  Just curious what that step does and how long would I want to ideally do it for a butt (have not bought it yet so not sure what size I am working with yet).  Thanks all!
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2

BIG BOB

Re: Foil and towel at the end?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
Chris.... all I know is that by foiling and letting it "rest", the juices settle back into the meat. I would say at least 1/2 hour.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
Chris:  The wrap and rest definitely allows the the juices to settle as well as allowing the butt to continue to cook when you lock in the heat.  For example, some people will pull it out at 198 - 200, then wrap to get it to the 203 - 205 range.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
They're right, Chris.  The "rest" is important for any larger cuts of meat, especially.  When the meat is cooking in the smoker, the juices (rendered fat and connective tissue) are pulled from the meat, and rise toward the surface.  When you foil wrap and keep it insulated, it actually stops the flow of those juices toward the surface, and allow them to be reabsorbed by the meat.  It will continue to "cook" due to the trapped heat, but as this stops, you'll have very moist meat due to the juices being reabsorbed by the muscle meat.  This also helps tenderize the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

netherman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
thanks for the responses...got a 5# and 4# shoulder trimmed and soaking in brine now...going to try using just 4.5 oz of hickory.  Cheating and using texas bbq rub from texasbbqrub.com where some of you guys get your gloves.  Still need to whip up another batch of that sauce with a little less cayenne...hoping the fam can meet me somewhere in the middle on the heat  ;D
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
Chris - sounds like a plan!  Nothing wrong with "store-bought" rub if it's something you like!  There's no rule that says it's not "real" Q if you don't make your own rub.  I enjoy my own pork rub, but if I'm out - or just don't have time to make a batch - I really like Famous Dave's Rib Rub on pork.  It's all about the final taste, not who made it.

Let us know how the shoulders turn out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!