Author Topic: 3 vs 3D vs 3D WiFi - which one to get  (Read 2882 times)

Protonw07

3 vs 3D vs 3D WiFi - which one to get
« on: June 17, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
Hi all!  First time posting and looking at getting the model 3 but not sure which one to get.  My understanding is that you cannot concert the analog to digital. There’s not a lot of information about the WiFi model.  My question to you all is what model would you get and why?  If you have the WiFi model, what are the pros/cons of it and is it worth the extra $100? 

Any advise that will help me decide would be appreciated. 

I’ve used a Masterbuilt electric smoker before but my main smoker is a offset stick burner.  I recently had a child so I’m looking for something that will give me some time back. Love the size of the model 3 since I can do a full rack of ribs or a full brisket. 

Cheers!

pappabear

Re: 3 vs 3D vs 3D WiFi - which one to get
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
  KISS..go with the 3 and keep it simple. It will save you a lot of tension and aggravation down the road.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum.  As for your dilemma as to which model 3 to get, it all comes down to control.  The analog 3 will do yeoman smoking with no fuss; check the FAQ section for info on the temp swings which worry some folks but for others not a problem.  It all evens out.   You can buy a remote thermometer like a Maverick or Smoke if you worry about the actual temp during the swings as well as having a meat probe.  If you find it necessary, you can get a separate Auber PID for the smoker. The D model reduces the temp swings to just a couple of degrees over/under your set temp and has the built in meat probe that you can check periodically during a smoke, but no remote capability.  The wifi model has same temp accuracy but allows you to check the progress of a smoke without leaving your Barcalounger. It pretty much comes down to how much accuracy and control you want to exercise over the smoker and your budget.  Some folks like to keep things simple/analog and some want supreme accuracy/PID.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
I used the #2 for a little over 2 years and have been using the 3DW for about 3 months now.  If I were starting with nothing, I would get the #3.  I personally love the simplicity of the analogs and there is nothing I've done in the 3DW that I couldn't do in the #2.  There is some minimal convenience with the 3DW in some cases, but there is just as much inconvenience in a majority of other cases.  There is very little that can go wrong in the analogs and quite a lot more that can go wrong in the digitals.

All of that said, if you decide to go digital then go digital wifi.  The programming with either one is terrible due to atrocious software, but being able to do it from your phone and check in on it from your phone is worth the difference in cost.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »
Welcome!

I personally have a 3D and my dad has a #2. Ive used both recently, and they both work well in regards to PID or analog. Had I cooked the same meat in both, I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to tell which one cooked what.

I like gadgets though so that’s why I went with the 3D. But, like other said, the analog works just as good and you can purchase a remote thermometer to help you watch temps. Something like the Fireboard. I have a Chef Alarm from Thermoworks that does not have WiFi or Bluetooth, but it gives me additional thermometers to use plus the PID one.

So, that’s one thing I would consider, perhaps you have one already from your stick burner? But either way, you will enjoy the set it and forget it smoker so you do get some time back.

I will say, the #3 size is really nice. I’ve had 2, 18lb packer briskets going at once and have done 8 full racks of ribs with no issues. I like the added length.

Enjoy whichever one you go with!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

LuvMyQ

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:45:20 AM »
This may be a bit late for you, but maybe for others in the future...

Having used my 3DWIFI for a year now, I will tell you it has changed the game for me.  Now, my reference is coming from a charcoal smoker.  But imagine starting a smoke before you go to work and being able to monitor/adjust it from afar...or checking the progress from your easy chair...or checking progress from bed.  I have done all of those.  It is a pricey convenience over the analog 3.  So $ does come into play.   The phone app could have used some design guidance and better instructions, but I know that comes from the PID manufacturer.   Nonetheless, the bar has been raised for me.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:49:19 AM by LuvMyQ »
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:48:45 AM »
I have ad the 2, the 2d and now have the 3d wifi. I really like the 3d wifi and have been using it for over one year now. It really comes down to your preferences.
Greg