Author Topic: Foiling the roof of the smoker?  (Read 2013 times)

keith1b

Foiling the roof of the smoker?
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
Just got my new 2D.  Chose Smokin-It over SmokinTex in large part due to the active and happy forum users. 

Ran the seasoning smoke last night and all went well.  Getting ready for the first smoke of some pork ribs and foiled the smoker in preparation.  Smoker box lid and smoker bottom were no problem.  Had some trouble foiling the top of the box as gravity kept hindering my efforts. 

Any tips on foiling the inside top of the smoker or is this not necessary?

Thanks,
Keith
Upgraded from Home Depot Masterbuilt to SI-2D.

CPT Ric

Re: Foiling the roof of the smoker?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »
I'm new as well, I did smoke some ribs in mine the other day and did foil the box lid and put foil on the bottom, making a hole for the drain hole on the bottom. There wasn't a lot of drippings on the top of the box or the bottom of the smoker chamber but what was there was all cleaned up by pulling out the foil.  Seems like a good idea.  My buddies tell me don't clean the top or sides, but the bottom you will want to.  Hope this helps.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
No foiling of the smoker top/ceiling.  The foiling of the bottom and the word box lid is to make clean-up from drippings easier.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »
No need to foil the roof of the smoker, not even sure how you would go about that. If you find that over time there is some loose flaky stuff on the roof, just give it a light scrape with a plastic putty knife or old credit card.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide