Author Topic: How long to get up to temperature?  (Read 3140 times)

gregor

How long to get up to temperature?
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
My 2D seems to take awhile to get up to temperature.  I did a brisket yesterday on the top shelf and it seemed to take about an hour to get to 225.  Did some turkey quarters  top and 3rd shelf and it took an hour to get to 240.

Is this normal?

I wanted to try some poultry at 325 to crisp up the skin, but I think it would be done before the 2D gets to temp.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: How long to get up to temperature?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
Yep, this is normal.  I have a brisket going today and it took my #2 over an hour for the first heating cycle.  After the initial heating period, it should cycle on and off every 25-30 minutes or so, and the heating time should be just a few minutes before cycling off.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
Gregor, I can tell you, from experience, that 325 does not crisp-up chicken skin; it shrinks the heck out of it!  You will end up with a patch of skin half the size you started with.  Best to smoke at 250, then crisp the skin with a hot oven (500+) for a few minutes.  Starting with uncooked skin, that hot, only shrinks it.  Looks awful, and it's still not crispy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
I get smoke at the 10-15 minute mark, get to temperature within an hour. I try not to get to hot to fast.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

gregor

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 06:18:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

Divot, I'll try the 500 oven next time I do chicken or turkey.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
Yeah, Gregor, the quest for "perfect" poultry skin has, literally, generated thousands of posts on here!  I've found that one the skin has slowly shrunk to a tight coating on the finished meat, it's really not going to shrink any more.  The hot blast firms it up a little more, without really shrinking it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!