Author Topic: Ideal "spent" wood  (Read 10597 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Ideal "spent" wood
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
So far, whether it is 5 - 5 1/2 hrs for ribs or an all nighter brisket, my wood has been reduced to pure ash.
Have you tried moving it around in the smoke box.  "Pure ash" is not an ideal condition from my assessments but if you've been happy with your results, that's all that matters. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »
I have tinkered around with placement in both the SI and prior to that the Cookshack. No matter where the wood is placed I get ash. I get good flavor, semi-heavy smoke initially but it settles down. It might be the wood.

I have toyed with the idea of choking down the smoke holes on the wood box by stuffing some of the holes with foil to reduce oxygen. Something to do when I get bored.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
The element on the #4 is so strong that I lay down a piece of foil and then cover it with a chip screen to get the wood I use to burn the way I want it.  It's all in the tinkering to one's preferences. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
I have tinkered around with placement in both the SI and prior to that the Cookshack. No matter where the wood is placed I get ash. I get good flavor, semi-heavy smoke initially but it settles down. It might be the wood.

I have toyed with the idea of choking down the smoke holes on the wood box by stuffing some of the holes with foil to reduce oxygen. Something to do when I get bored.

Same for me.  With all my smokes, there are only ashes left but I don't look until the next day when I usually clean the smoker.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »
I reckon it all comes down to the big question:  Was the food good?
Never did figure out whether I should end up with charcoal or ash (which is considered proper and optimum).  Ash happens and I am fine with that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:54:20 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »
I reckon it all comes down to the big question:  Was the food good?

Absolutely! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Joe Jitsu

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
So in theory you would want to end up with ash.  Though in the real world, as long as you are happy with the outcome of the meat, ending up with the wood chunk as coal is just as good.
Joe from CA
Smokin-It 3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
I often end up with some ash and some black coal in the same smoke. Oh....my #1 is soooo.... perfect ;D but seriously, if the food's good, that's what matters. You can take note of wood results as you go. Just remember, when you open the door and pull your meat, you introduce a lot of oxygen. And depending on whether you close the door, or leave it open, etc., when you check it later, it may or may not be ash. You could check it right when you pull the meat out, but handling a hot smoke box can be dangerous. And unless you feel you are REALLY having problems with the smoke flavor, I would not worry about it.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
I often end up with some ash and some black coal in the same smoke. Oh....my #1 is soooo.... perfect ;D but seriously, if the food's good, that's what matters. You can take note of wood results as you go. Just remember, when you open the door and pull your meat, you introduce a lot of oxygen. And depending on whether you close the door, or leave it open, etc., when you check it later, it may or may not be ash. You could check it right when you pull the meat out, but handling a hot smoke box can be dangerous. And unless you feel you are REALLY having problems with the smoke flavor, I would not worry about it.

On the money... :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Nimrod

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
+1
Been worrying a tad too much about this.  While sometimes I have complete ash, more often I have a charcoal looking briquet with ashy edges but EITHER WAY, I'm enjoying the q   :)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 08:41:31 PM »
Cookshack :-[

I still love you, brother.  Don't feel bad!   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas