Author Topic: Wings update  (Read 5987 times)

will615

Wings update
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
I posted last July about using a mixture of recipes that  I've found in the forum on wings. Since then I've done ALOT of wings on my SI #1. I love the ease of cooking and the end result. I accidentally stumbled on something last weekend and thought that I would pass it along. I planned on smoking about 2 dozen drumettes. I've been using divotmaker's brine recipe with great success. Brining adds a lot of moisture to the wings. This weekend, I forgot to brine so I added a water pan. The resulting moisture was still very good. I rinsed the wings, patted them dry, sprinkled them with rib rub and put them in a baggie overnight. I sprayed my racks with PAM, added 1.5 oz of hickory chips (in the past, I used more and got a bitter taste), and put them in the smoker at 235 for one hour. I took them out and mixed them in a bowl with previously warmed bbq sauce, honey, and hot sauce. The new addition was a "Kiss and Vinegar BBQ Sauce" that I found on the web. The vinegar and spices added a great new flavor. I smoked them for another 1.25 hours then put them on a hot gas grill for less than 2 minutes to char the skin. They were excellent! I don't have pics but you guys have seen plenty. I highly recommend this tweak!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Wings update
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:45:19 PM »
Sounds great, Will!  If you like the kick of a vinegar-base sauce, give my St Louis BBQ Sauce a try.  It's still my go-to!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

will615

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »
Thanks Tony! I look forward to trying it!

Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
Let me know what you think, good or bad!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

will615

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:53:14 PM »
Tony, I finally got around to making your BBQ sauce. I am impressed! Thanks! I plan to use it this weekend on some wings. I cut the cayenne in half because it doesn't like me. I think that was a mistake. Thanks again!
Will, Nashville, TN

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »
Great!  Glad you like it Will!
Tony from NW Arkansas