Author Topic: #3 sitting on my porch.  (Read 6151 times)

Randy

#3 sitting on my porch.
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
Well #3 arived today :) seasoning it right now. Sure glad I went with the #3. Steve was such a great guy to deal and smoker looks great. Going to break it in with pork spare ribs on sunday. Hardly wait. But with my 4 boys their wives and kids and my mom and dad glad I went #3. Any good pointers for good rub and about how long to cook them.Will put a water pan in. do you think 4oz wood is plenty? thanks
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #3 sitting on my porch.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
Welcome aboard, Randy!  Great decision on the #3!  You'll find lots of good rib recipes in the pork section.  4 oz of wood is a bit much - 2.5-3 oz seems plenty for ribs.  You'll use 5-6 oz on large cuts of meat (like brisket or Boston butts).  It's amazing how little wood these things use!  Also, there are lots of opinions on whether to foil wrap (3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method) or not.  Many of us have found no need to foil-wrap ribs.  As long as you use a water pan (filled with apple juice, beer, or just water), you'll have moist spares in about 5 1/2 hours.  Forget some of the techniques we had to use with the stick burners.  These units are so tight and efficient, you don't have to work at keeping meat moist and tender!

Let us know what you end up smoking this weekend, and throw some pics up if you can!  Welcome!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:10 AM »
Welcome Randy!   Given the family size, you absolutely made the right decision for a #3.   Enjoy, and happy smok'in!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
i bought some spares to do next week, let me know what method you use 3-2-1 or water pan / no foil and how they turn out...(pics please)... curious to know.

congrats. I did baby backs (2-2-1) for my first smoke and they were awesome. good luck with the spares!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
Glad you got the smoker in time for the weekend, Randy.  With regard to rub, what flavor profile (sweet, spicy, Asian, salt/pepper, etc.) are you looking for?

As someone who has the #3, 4 oz. of wood for multiple racks of ribs is spot on ... it won't overpower your spares unless you're using mesquite.  I typically use a 50/50 blend of apple and either pecan or hickory, though cherry is quite nice as well.

The Flavor Savor from Smokin-It is a great tool but if you've prepped your ribs overnight (held in the fridge) they'll contribute to the humid smoking environment so it isn't 100% necessary, though preferred.  Spritzing with apple juice is even more flavorful but you'll need to add 20-30 minutes of smoking time for each time you open the door.

Divot's correct about time but I've had them "wander" from just under five hours to well over six.  Fat content, how you butcher them, the environmental variables ... all contribute.  My advice is that you take a peek at five hours and look for pull back on those bones.  If it isn't there, come back in 45 minutes ... rinse, wash and repeat as necessary.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
As someone who has the #3, 4 oz. of wood for multiple racks of ribs is spot on ... it won't overpower your spares unless you're using mesquite.  I typically use a 50/50 blend of apple and either pecan or hickory, though cherry is quite nice as well.

Thanks for the input on the #3, Joe!  I guess size does make a difference!  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »
Divot, my gut feeling is that there's an airflow difference as well the volume difference ... chicken should show oversmoking easily and I tend to use an ounce more than those who have #2 or #1 in their backyard.

No one has complained yet and lord knows I never have leftovers after they descend ...  ;)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!